What's new

Only getting 217 Mbps link rate on 2.4Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scope021

Occasional Visitor
I have two AC66U's, and I'm having the same issue on both. My laptop uses the BCM4331 wifi chip, so it should be able to connect at 450Mbps on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz. I'm getting that speed at 5ghz, but on 2.4ghz I'm only seeing 217 Mbps. Wireless Mode is set to N-only, and channel bandwidth is set to 40mhz on the 2.4Ghz channel. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

I have two AC66U's, and I'm having the same issue on both. My laptop uses the BCM4331 wifi chip, so it should be able to connect at 450Mbps on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz. I'm getting that speed at 5ghz, but on 2.4ghz I'm only seeing 217 Mbps. Wireless Mode is set to N-only, and channel bandwidth is set to 40mhz on the 2.4Ghz channel. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Sounds like a weak signal due to distance or perhaps interference with other WiFi networks.

Download the free inSSIDer app for your PC (or if you have an Android phone/tablet, download the free 'WiFi Analyzer' app) and check out what networks are around you and if you are overlapping. You might need to change wifi channels.

Hi,
on my macbookpro (thunderbolt version) @2.4ghz the max transmit rate is 217mbps, @5ghz 450mbps.
fw version is 352.

I get 217 Mbps link rates if I choose to set the Channel Control to Auto. That's probably because the Auto mode will choose channel 11, which can only utilise the frequencies 'to the left' of channel 11. Once I select a channel (e.g. 6l), I get 450 Mbps link rates.

The RT-AC66U is capable of 450Mbps on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

For 2.4GHz., achieving the 450Mb/s rate is dependent on the availability of 40MHz. channel width, requiring 2 full channels, which is pretty rare these days. Hard to find an area that has two full channels clear enough to get this done, and the firmware is written to react to interference by backing off to 20MHz. channel width so that everyone gets adequate bandwidth. I can't use 40MHz. channel width on 2.4GHz. where I live, and I live in a single-family residence.

This is much easier on 5GHz., but then that's because the range is reduced, so neighbors' 5GHz. wireless networks don't interfere with yours as much, and vice-versa (and there aren't as many *smile*). So you need to live with the more limited range on 5GHz., but if you can, it's much better for streaming high-quality media.

I have the same issue with my RT-AC87U, although I set the router on Channel 6 and 40Mhz.

i change Channel bandwidth to 40MHz and i have 450mbit/s, when i have set to 20/40 then i have always 217mbit/s.
450_2_4.png

but on 2.4ghz I'm only seeing 217 Mbps. Wireless Mode is set to N-only, and channel bandwidth is set to 40mhz on the 2.4Ghz channel.

its called obss co existence or neighbor friendly wifi and its part of the wireless N standard , if the router detects other 2.4 gig transmissions in the area it forces the 2.4 gig to use 20mhz only and for a router to wireless certified it need to defaulted this way

you can generally force the router to use 40mhz or disable obss co existence but all you are doing is flooding your local area with more wifi that has to compete with others and the big crap fest that occurs due to this congestion

if you want faster throughput use 5 gig , if you too far away from the 5 gig get an access point installed so its closer

2.4 gig is really just not worth it esp if in high density living where many other also abuse the 2.4 gig spectrum

It seems there is no way to force it (RT-AC87U & PCE-AC68U) . If there is interference from other networks in the area it wont go any further than 216.5 Mbps. This is my setting for the 2.4GHz:

yralHra.png

Here are the other networks in the area. There are a few with the same channel as mine.

QWGnilw.png

This is the speed:

KyVJ5Er.png

It seems there is no way to force it (RT-AC87U & PCE-AC68U) . If there is interference from other networks in the area it wont go any further than 216.5 Mbps. This is my setting for the 2.4GHz:

There's things inside the Broadcom Wireless STA driver that while you might ask, it's going to do the "right" thing if there is another BSS that wide channels might conflict with.

same goes with Tx power adjustments, etc...

the chipset has it's own little RTOS that runs it's own parameters, and the tunable items are presented in the driver to the SoC.

216mBit is more than enough for 2.4GHz...

the chipset has it's own little RTOS that runs it's own parameters, and the tunable items are presented in the driver to the SoC.

216mBit is more than enough for 2.4GHz...

That may be true for some, but if you buy it to get 450Mbps it is a fail by half.

just fwit here my pce-ac68 wont connect at anything above 216M on 2.4 gig no matter what router i connect it to , i think its something broke in the pce-ac68 , however i dont need to as it connects at 1300M on 5 gig and thats all i need

have reported the 216M pce-ac68 here and to asus but no reply yet

just fwit here my pce-ac68 wont connect at anything above 216M on 2.4 gig no matter what router i connect it to , i think its something broke in the pce-ac68 , however i dont need to as it connects at 1300M on 5 gig and thats all i need

have reported the 216M pce-ac68 here and to asus but no reply yet
I think this is the real cause of the problem. The PCE-AC68U won't go above 216.5 Mbps on 2.4 GHz. I will report this too to Asus.

The PCE-AC68U won't go above 216.5 Mbps on 2.4 GHz.
To be exact, BCM4360 won't go above 216.5 Mbps on 2.4 GHz.
Not only in PCE-AC68U but in other cards too (BCM94360HMB e.g.)

In the same time BCM43460 is rock solid on 2.4 GHz :)
1.png 2.png

Check your advanced driver settings in device manager - the defaults are very conservative... (incl 20MHz only for HT20/VHT20 modes)