What's new

OpenVPN 3.0.0.4.264.23 RT-N16??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

f41thr

New Around Here
Hi,

looks like that openvpn isn't build. Bug or feature?

grep OPENVPN in src/router shows
config_:# RTCONFIG_OPENVPN is not set
config_base:# RTCONFIG_OPENVPN is not set
config_current:# RTCONFIG_OPENVPN is not set
Makefile:eek:bj-$(RTCONFIG_OPENVPN) += openvpn
Makefile: $(if $(RTCONFIG_OPENVPN),@cp -f,$(if $(RTCONFIG_USB_MODEM),@cp -f,@mv)) $(TARGETDIR)/lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net/tun.*o $(PLATFORMDIR)/extras/ || true
Makefile:ifeq ($(RTCONFIG_OPENVPN),y)

What have to be changed.

OK, the answer is preatty easy.

tom@bbx0667:~/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt$ diff target.mak target.mak.org
6c6
< export RT-N16 := IPV6SUPP=y OPENVPN=y HTTPS=y MIPS32=r2 NTFS=y BBEXTRAS=y USBEXTRAS=y EBTABLES=y SAMBA3=y MEDIASRV=y MODEM=y MODEMPIN=y PARENTAL2=y ACCEL_PPTPD=y DNSMQ=y PRINTER=y WEBDAV=y CLOUDSYNC=y USB="USB" APP="installed" BUILD_NAME="RT-N16" BECEEM=y JFFS2=y SSH=y DISK_MONITOR=y REPEATER=n
---
> export RT-N16 := IPV6SUPP=y HTTPS=y MIPS32=r2 NTFS=y BBEXTRAS=y USBEXTRAS=y EBTABLES=y SAMBA3=y MEDIASRV=y MODEM=y MODEMPIN=y PARENTAL2=y ACCEL_PPTPD=y DNSMQ=y PRINTER=y WEBDAV=y CLOUDSYNC=y USB="USB" APP="installed" BUILD_NAME="RT-N16" BECEEM=y JFFS2=y SSH=y DISK_MONITOR=y REPEATER=n

Just add OPENVPN=y in target.mak

F41THR

Last edited:
I don't build the RT-N16 with OpenVPN due to its limited nvram. Too easy to fill up your nvram with OpenVPN certs, and ending up with corrupted settings forcing you to reconfigure everything.

I don't build the RT-N16 with OpenVPN due to its limited nvram. Too easy to fill up your nvram with OpenVPN certs, and ending up with corrupted settings forcing you to reconfigure everything.

You could remove openvpn-GUI on RT-N16 and only have custom config box and then it's esy to use it.
Store all config and certs on JFFS should working fine. :eek: :rolleyes:

octopus

Last edited:
You could remove openvpn-GUI on RT-N16 and only have custom config box and then it's esy to use it.
Store all config and certs on JFFS should working fine. :eek: :rolleyes:

octopus

At that point, people might as well simply install it through Optware/Entware, and do that very thing. Otherwise, it would represent a lot of work for me for specifically one device which I don't officially support beyond "experimental". I'd rather devote my limited time to other work that would benefit from more users. Keep in mind this is a one-man project at this point, and has to be done beside my regular fulltime job.

At that point, people might as well simply install it through Optware/Entware, and do that very thing. Otherwise, it would represent a lot of work for me for specifically one device which I don't officially support beyond "experimental". I'd rather devote my limited time to other work that would benefit from more users. Keep in mind this is a one-man project at this point, and has to be done beside my regular fulltime job.

I agree with that it was only a suggestion. Use openvpn through optware should working just fine. If you look at Github downloads off RT-N16 (5,436 downloads) builds is about 3 times more,71% that RT-N66U (1,590 downloads)
That amazing how popular your builds are. Just now I doesn't use your buils but I have tested and I'm very happy someone want to do custom builds. That force other manufacture to come on train to GPL software.

Best Regards
Octopus

I agree with that it was only a suggestion. Use openvpn through optware should working just fine. If you look at Github downloads off RT-N16 (5,436 downloads) builds is about 3 times more,71% that RT-N66U (1,590 downloads)
That amazing how popular your builds are. Just now I doesn't use your buils but I have tested and I'm very happy someone want to do custom builds. That force other manufacture to come on train to GPL software.

Best Regards
Octopus

The Github stats are wrong. There was someone who didn't know how to properly download a file, causing a spike of many thousands of downloads overnight. Same thing happened on a download link on my website too, causing over 4000 downloads of the same file by the same IP overnight. I had to block his IP to stop him from continuously leeching the same file over and over.

The real RT-N16 download ratio is way, way lower.

Plus, most of the RT-N66U downloads were from my website, while the RT-N16 was only hosted on Github.

Here are the latest, accurate stats from Mediafire, for 264.22:

RT-N66U: 2841
RT-AC66U: 991
RT-N16: 368

Last edited:
OpenVPN via entware on RT-n16

Hi using entware to run openvpn on an RT-N16 but I get the following error

/opt/lib/modules/tun.o.k

when I search the USB drive after installing OpenVPN I can not find anything?

where can I find this file if it is required?:confused:

Update:
run the following
AlMa@lnr init.d $ ./S20openvpn start
insmod: '/opt/lib/modules/tun.o.ko': module not found
Starting openvpn... done.
AlMa@lnr init.d $

script contains

#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for openvpn server
#

# Make sure IP forwarding is enabled
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

# Make device if not present (not devfs)
if ( [ ! -c /dev/net/tun ] ) then
# Make /dev/net directory if needed
if ( [ ! -d /dev/net ] ) then
mkdir -m 755 /dev/net
fi
mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
fi

# Make sure the tunnel driver is loaded
if ( !(lsmod | grep -q "^tun") ); then
insmod /opt/lib/modules/tun.o
fi

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=openvpn
ARGS="--daemon --cd /opt/etc/openvpn --config openvpn.conf"
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

Thank you,
Puskyer

Last edited:
Try loading the module first:

Code:
insmod tun.ko

thanks will try tomorrow.

Will give it a try in the morning.
Thanks,
Puskyer

Update: could not wait.... worked like a charm... will do further testing tomorrow though...

thank you very much.

Update: can vpn with no need to use nvram for keys this is great. All is working now. :)

Last edited:
Hello,
I've been searching and Googling for the past 4 hours and I cannot find a how-to documentation for installing OpenVPN Server on RT-N16. I have the 3.0.0.4.354.29 firmware and it works great so far. I did set up my USB flash drive with entware and ready to add packages. Can someone point me to some how-to please? Thanks.

Update: can vpn with no need to use nvram for keys this is great. All is working now. :)

Hi,
can you provide a step by step (noob friendly) tutorial on how you made it work?
All I managed to do was to install entware:
Code:
entware-setup.sh
and OpenVPN:
Code:
opkg install openvpn-openssl
I have no clue what to do next.

Thank you!

Hi @magicool,
I do not have an RT-N16, I was building this for my son.

what I can supply you is what I did then, not sure if it would work with any of the newer rom builds also I had used Optware and not entware at the time.

I have included my installed script that I used, I removed any passwords or keys. let me know if this helps.

The things you will need to make sure you have are the routes set right and the firewall rules.

let me know how it works..

Puskyer

Attachments

• install.zip
    25.9 KB · Views: 208
Thank you for the reply! I try to make it work with entware and so far no luck. I'll open a new topic maybe somebody did it and would share.