What's new

OpenVPN help please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

northwinds

Occasional Visitor
Hi all

I'm on 380.59 and trying to route all my traffic through an openVPN connection I have setup on my seedbox.
I pay for the seedbox and use if for a number of things.
One thing I use it for is VPN - I have openVPN installed on it and use it whenever I want to anonymously surf. from my pc.

However... trying to set up the openVPN client in my asus rt -ac3200 i proving problematic.

I imported my ovpn file from my seedbox and copied all the key and certificate info across, but when I apply my external ip doesn't change, plus it knocks out my lagg setup to my nas4free box where I have plex server installed - one of my reasons for wanting to rute my network through openVPN.

Ultimately I have to restore an old jffs backup and config to get everything working again, but I'm essentilly back to square one.

Not sure If I'm missing something but I just go to the openVPN tab and import my ovpn file which fills in most of the details automatically and then copy and paste the key and certificate data across.

Is there something else I need to do?

Many thanks.

Cheers!

After you did the apply did you start the client by setting the service state to ON? Any errors in the system log?

Thanks for your reply Zirescu.

The system log keeps giving me this:

Aug 31 10:37:09 openvpn[1964]: TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
Aug 31 10:37:09 openvpn[1964]: TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Aug 31 10:37:09 openvpn[1964]: SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting
Aug 31 10:37:09 openvpn[1964]: Restart pause, 2 second(s)
Aug 31 10:37:11 openvpn[1964]: WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.
Aug 31 10:37:11 openvpn[1964]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Aug 31 10:37:11 openvpn[1964]: Socket Buffers: R=[122880->122880] S=[122880->122880]
Aug 31 10:37:11 openvpn[1964]: UDPv4 link local: [undef]
Aug 31 10:37:11 openvpn[1964]: UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]81.200.64.50:1194

I had a look at http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm but am a little out of my depth I must confess.
As I mentioned I input all the data for the 4 Keys and Certificates I downloaded from my seedbox.
Is this suggesting I need to create another key on there?

If so will this affect the other things I have running on my seedbox?

Here are my openVPN Client tab settings:

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 11.46.32.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 11.46.51.png

Thanks again.

After you did the apply did you start the client by setting the service state to ON? Any errors in the system log?

Last edited:
Don't think things were imported correctly as you should see information in the server setting and usually they'll include some additional information that will populate in the Custom Configuration section. After you do the import you'll need to do the Apply at the bottom for the settings to save.

Thanks for that - I'll try redownloading the files from my seedbox and reimport.

Don't think things were imported correctly as you should see information in the server setting and usually they'll include some additional information that will populate in the Custom Configuration section. After you do the import you'll need to do the Apply at the bottom for the settings to save.