What's new

OpenVPN IP range trouble

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

toptoptwo

New Around Here
Hi. I am trying to get OpenVPN up and running on my AC56U with Merlin 378.52_2. However, when in the advanced configuration area, there is the option to assign IPs from the router's own DHCP address pool or not. However, when I try to assign from a pool of my own range, when I hit the "Apply" button nothing happens. If the radio button for "yes" to assign from the DHCP pool is set then "Apply" works as expected and saves the configuration. I'm not sure what the problem here is..

Not sure if these details matter:

I have IPs in the range of .2-.120 being manually assigned by MAC address through DHCP.
I have the IPs in the range .121-.150 available in the router's own DHCP pool for normal assignment.
I would like to assign something like .171-.180 to VPN clients through OpenVPN, but the configuration is not allowing me to save this.

Thanks for any help!

Hi. I am trying to get OpenVPN up and running on my AC56U with Merlin 378.52_2. However, when in the advanced configuration area, there is the option to assign IPs from the router's own DHCP address pool or not. However, when I try to assign from a pool of my own range, when I hit the "Apply" button nothing happens. If the radio button for "yes" to assign from the DHCP pool is set then "Apply" works as expected and saves the configuration. I'm not sure what the problem here is..

Not sure if these details matter:

I have IPs in the range of .2-.120 being manually assigned by MAC address through DHCP.
I have the IPs in the range .121-.150 available in the router's own DHCP pool for normal assignment.
I would like to assign something like .171-.180 to VPN clients through OpenVPN, but the configuration is not allowing me to save this.

Thanks for any help!

I run both PPTP and OpenVPV on 378.52_2. I specify ip ranges for both vpns... the difference from what you describe is that I specify ip ranges on different non-routable subnets than the main DHCP subnet. Have you tried using a different non-routable subnet? Not really an answer to why you cannot do what you want, but it may be an acceptable work-around for you.

Good luck,
-Rory

If I try to put an IP range that isn't on the main subnet (e.g. if router is using 192.168.2.x, and try to use 192.168.5.x for VPN) it says it is an invalid IP range. I am trying to set up VPN using bridged TAP instead of TUN device so that is probably why.