What's new

OpenVPN performance after updating to 380.63 beta 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goobi

Regular Contributor
I recently updated my 68U from 380.58 to 380.63 Alpha 2 (sorry for the typo in the title). Prior to the update, I was getting 40 - 50 Mbps download on my host server. After the update, I am getting about 10 Mbps. I am using PIA on the router.

I was able to get those speeds 46-50 Mbps speeds after adding the following firewall rules based on the "OpenVPN Performance" thread:

##OpenVPN Marking
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i tun21 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j MARK --or-mark 0
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i tun11 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j MARK --or-mark 0
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i tun13 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j MARK --or-mark 0
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i tun15 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j MARK --or-mark 0

My questions are:
1. Do the above rules still apply to boost OpenVPN client performance on the router?
2. Has anyone seen any drop in OpenVPN client performance after update to 380.63?

I would hate to go through the process of downgrading, but the difference in OpenVPN client performance between the two levels is significant enough to warrant down-leveling. I was hoping that maybe the above rules are no longer applicable and perhaps contributing to the problem at 380.63.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
No issues here with OpenVPN performance.

I switched to a different PIA VPN server and noticed the performance improved back to what I am used to so it must have been something with that PIA server that was causing my low throughput that happen to be around the same time I had upgraded my router leading me to think it could have been code related. All is good now.

I do want to know if the above iptable rules are still needed? I used these from back in 380.58 and wondering if they are still need with 380.6x or higher. Thanks!