What's new

openVPN RT-N16

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mannes

New Around Here
hello everybody,

I just installed RT-N16_3.0.0.4_220.18b on my RT-N16 and I don't seem to find openVPN. is it even available for this router??

hello everybody,

I just installed RT-N16_3.0.0.4_220.18b on my RT-N16 and I don't seem to find openVPN. is it even available for this router??

No, only for the RT-AC66U and RT-N66U. Not enough nvram on the RT-N16 to store certificates.

No, only for the RT-AC66U and RT-N66U. Not enough nvram on the RT-N16 to store certificates.

thanks for the info. I had the same nvram problem with dd-wrt as well, now I'm looking for alternatives. i guess I'll go for a XX66U.

Thanks anyway!!!

How much nvram is required for OpenVPN? I estimate that less than 5k is being used in nvram for my OpenVPN installation on dd-wrt. Although less than 300bytes is now free of the 32k.

On my RT-N16, running 3.0.0.4.246.19, the nvram currently has 7,532 bytes free. Also, there are many variables within nvram that are not used. Removing the unused ones via a script at boot time may free up 1k to 5k within nvram.

Is there a version that I could try on my RT-N16 that has the OpenVPN option?

Thanks,
Rob

thanks for the info. I had the same nvram problem with dd-wrt as well, now I'm looking for alternatives. i guess I'll go for a XX66U.

Thanks anyway!!!

I have OpenVPN set up on an RT-N16, but I'm running Tomato (Shibby build) on it. It's working well, with 6 KB of NVRAM still free.

Last edited:
How much nvram is required for OpenVPN? I estimate that less than 5k is being used in nvram for my OpenVPN installation on dd-wrt. Although less than 300bytes is now free of the 32k.

On my RT-N16, running 3.0.0.4.246.19, the nvram currently has 7,532 bytes free. Also, there are many variables within nvram that are not used. Removing the unused ones via a script at boot time may free up 1k to 5k within nvram.

Is there a version that I could try on my RT-N16 that has the OpenVPN option?

Thanks,
Rob

Certs require about 1.5K each (assuming 1024-bits strength), and you usually need 3 (CA, server, client). That's not counting all the other settings which also take a fair amount of space due to the number of settings. So, expect a typical setup with one single server to require maybe about 5.5K of nvram.

Since Asuswrt leaves you with very little free nvram, you'd be at risk of eventually filling up all nvram, causing your router to crash and lose ALL settings. Therefore I have no intention of ever releasing it for the RT-N16.

Your best alternative is to look at DD-WRT or Tomato, they might be less nvram-hungry.

Last edited:
Did you consider to put certs for rt-n16 on jiff2 or usb only, as an alternative to get openvpn on that unit ?

octopus :rolleyes:

Did you consider to put certs for rt-n16 on jiff2 or usb only, as an alternative to get openvpn on that unit ?

octopus :rolleyes:

That would require rewriting a lot of the code, making it far too complex for my taste, and mostly untested because I don't have an RT-N16. The current webui alone took over 15 hours of work - not gonna spend that much time again just for one single router model.

That would require rewriting a lot of the code, making it far too complex for my taste, and mostly untested because I don't have an RT-N16. The current webui alone took over 15 hours of work - not gonna spend that much time again just for one single router model.

Okey I understand that. Thats ok to me.

octopus :)