What's new

OpenVPN without username/password on clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

empl0de

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to use openVPN without clients having to enter the password everytime, by a certificate or key. As I have not found any way to do this on the stock firmware of the RT-AC68U.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

Not 100% as I'm running Merlin, but if you click on the VPN details drop down and select Advanced you might see username/password authentication option which you would set to no. You probably would need to export the VPN config again.

Thanks for the reply.

I have disabled Username/Password Auth Only, but it still prompts a password and user everytime I login.
I was under the impression that it would of been possible with some sort of Key in openVPN.

I use RMerlin build so not sure in stock, but without question my users only need the .ovpn cert and no username and password to log in. So it's definitely possible

Thanks for the reply.

I have disabled Username/Password Auth Only, but it still prompts a password and user everytime I login.
I was under the impression that it would of been possible with some sort of Key in openVPN.

Did you export the vpn config after applying the setting change and then import the new config?

Thanks for the reply.

That setting is only for telling the router if it should use cert + password, or password only.

I don't think Asus offers the option to completely disable password authentication (I do - I added it after they implemented password-based authentication).

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll revert to Merlin's firmware then and test it out.

Update: It works brilliantly with Merlin's firmware.

Last edited: