What's new

Optimum Setup and slow ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Williams

Occasional Visitor
Trying to optimize my setup in my house that is 2 stories and approx 5000 sq feet and resolve issue with ethernet connection between my ISP router and my Asus device. I have the following hardware currently setup

AT&T Fiber Gigabit
RT-AC88U - Current version of Merlin as main router
Separate WiFi for 2.4 and 5
Get average of about 80-100Mb/sec on 2.4 and about 200MB/sec on 5 throughout the house.
Get about 450/MB/sec on Ethernet (CAT 7) between RT-AC88U and AT&T Fiber Router if I plug directly into RT-AC88U so losing about 550MB/sec.

I have a few additional Asus Routers I have picked up at swap meets, etc
2 - RT-AC3100
1 - RT-87U
1- RT-N66U

I have ethernet going to different rooms throughout the house so the question's I have are:
1. Which of the routers above would be best as the main router and I guess the answer could be the AT&T router?
2. Would you set up the rest using the default Asus firmware and use the Mesh feature or go with Merlin and setup as Access Points via Ethernet backbone.
3. Any reason why I would lose that much connection between RT-AC88U and the AT&T Fiber Router? If I plug directly into AT&T Router I get about 995-1005MB/sec and I have switched the cable in between the two devices. I have the following settings on the Asus for the switch:
Enable Jumbo Frame - Disabled
NAT Acceleration - Auto
Spanning Tree Protocol - Enabled
Bonding Link Aggregation - Disabled​

Thanks in advance for any assistance/suggestions.

3. Any reason why I would lose that much connection between RT-AC88U and the AT&T Fiber Router? If I plug directly into AT&T Router I get about 995-1005MB/sec and I have switched the cable in between the two devices.
Let me guess, your AT&T Router is a Pace 5268ac. Assuming that is the case:
  • Do not put the ASUS in the DMZ of the Pace. Connect the ASUS to a Pace Ethernet port as if it was a downstream device. Yes, you will be double NAT'ing. Yes, the ASUS will be another 192.168 network. Realize that in all likelihood there will be no routing between the Pace and ASUS networks.
  • On the Pace, manually configure the ASUS Ethernet port for a 1Gbps/FD connection. Do not use Auto Connect.
  • Since the last Pace update, I don't know if IPv6 was fixed. So if you don't need it, don't configure IPv6 on ASUS.

I apologize, I should have added the details:

The AT&T router is the following:
Manufacturer ARRIS
Model Number NVG599

I have it setup as Passthrough. I am going to try and set the ethernet port to 1Gbps/FD rather than Auto and see if that helps. Will try when I get home.

I apologize, I should have added the details:

The AT&T router is the following:
Manufacturer ARRIS
Model Number NVG599

I have it setup as Passthrough. I am going to try and set the ethernet port to 1Gbps/FD rather than Auto and see if that helps. Will try when I get home.
The AT&T neighborhood network router may have an issue with certain devices connected via DMZ or passthrough. For me, the AT&T neighborhood router was sending frequent disconnects to ASUS which slowed effective speed of ASUS.

Apex,
I tried setting the ethernet port to 1Gbps/FD rather than Auto and didnt see any difference. I will try turn off Passthrough when my wife/daughter are out the house so that I dont have to worry about hearing them ask "Is the Internet down?" or "Is it working yet?"...