What's new

Outdoor access point settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trauts14

Occasional Visitor
I have my access point mounted horizontally. In my AP settings I have to specify how I have it mounted (horizontally or vert). I know how I mount the AP will determine whether the signal is wide or tall. Why do I need to enter this in the settings? Will the AP not transmit the same signal strength regardless? It seems the radiated signal shape is all based on how I mount the AP, so why would I need to specify this in the settings? Thanks for any assistance.

I have my access point mounted horizontally. In my AP settings I have to specify how I have it mounted (horizontally or vert). I know how I mount the AP will determine whether the signal is wide or tall. Why do I need to enter this in the settings? Will the AP not transmit the same signal strength regardless? It seems the radiated signal shape is all based on how I mount the AP, so why would I need to specify this in the settings? Thanks for any assistance.

It might switch to different antennae or change the phase of the signal.

No, the antennas are polarity sensitive. Both must be mounted the same way, H vs. V. Not doing so will diminish the signal strength by at least 6dB.

What access point? At a guess it has two seperate internal antennas for each radio chain and can electrically switch between the two. So you specify how you have it mounted and it'll switch between the appropriate anntenas then.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!