What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi, wondering If anybody can help me.

I was running the latest stock f/w but my android devices would lose wifi when they went to sleep (not down to android, as I found out after about 10 hours of messing with all the devices).

So I tried the latest custom firmware version...instantly my problem was fixed, I can recieve emails/whatsapp/facebook etc when my screen is off, the wifi is staying active...EXCELLENT!

Although...the UI is very very buggy but thats not the main issue, my main issue is that if I have more than 1 device connected to the 2.4ghz channel then one can't access the internet, my partners S3 has 5ghz so I connected to that and both can now access the internet.

But if i turn my 2.4ghz laptop on it can't access the internet whilst my 2.4ghz phone is connected any ideas ?

That makes no sense. I have laptops, cell phones, repeaters/bridges, TV's all going through the router at the same time (2.4 MHz and 5 GHz) without any issues.

Sounds like some device is configured improperly and is messing with everyone else. Could you have something that is configured as sharing it's connection?

Can someone give me a brief rundown of the advantages of running this firmware over stock.

More configurable options/features? Less buggy?

Also can anyone tell me which version has the better wireless connectivity?

Hello guys, I'm running version 3.0.3.0-025 with .cfg restore from previous 1.1.2.1-004 build. I keep having intermittent WAN disconnects. Where the red (X) appears under "Internet Status". A quick renew connects quickly but it drops continuously. Never had this problem on 1.1.2.1-004, so I decided to restore back to it with the original .cfg and I still can't restore the settings. Under "Restore Setting" in version 1.1.2.1-004, the "Choose File" and "Upload" buttons appear to be in one large button so by clicking anywhere in that area (not save or restore) gives me the same prompt to choose the .cfg, in other words the "Upload" button does not function properly under 1.1.2.1-004. I tried both regular and mini versions of 1.1.2.1-004 and both have the ghosted "upload" button. Tried all sorts of browsers too and same problem. Is this a 1.1.2.1-004 problem? What version do you guys recommend for the WAN disconnects solution? Despite not making IPv6 work? Thanks.
edit: Should I fill in the my settings from scratch instead of restoring the 1.1.2.1-004 .cfg? Will that fix any code bugs and inconsistencies during the transfer?

Last edited:
I put .025 down over .018 Sunday. Router didn't seem to have a problem?

On Monday when I turned on my WIRED computer it couldn't connect? A Wireless W8 machine using a LinkSys USB AE2500 (connects on the 5Ghz SSID) did NOT see any SSID's (2.4Ghz is also enabled). 2 iPad's didn't work wirelessly, one on each SSID?

On the wired computer (W7) I was able to open the network and sharing center and disable and reenable the network connection and eventually it did connect. None of the other devices could?

So I used the wired connected computer to REBOOT the router. Once up, all systems connected?

OK, I'll see what happens today. Well, SAME story, but this time I just pulled the power from the N56U and then powered it back up. All systems connected with no problems.

Settings were NOT changed, they were saved before the update flash, but I just reviewed them and they looked OK?

I still don't know what would be correct for the OFF-LOAD? One of the TCP or one of the TCP/UDP ones? I did have it for both TCP/UDP and LAN and WIFI.

I've seen reports here of FAST transfer speeds to a USB drive. I've got a 1Gbps wired connection, the LAN - Ethernet Tab shows a 1Gbps connection (Orange) as does the side of the router. I've transfered files from the wired computer over to a USB 2.0 External 1TB hard drive. Max. transfer speed I've see is generally around 10MBps or 80Mbps. I've seen peaks at start of almost 13MBps. Yet I've seen reports by people here with 5 to 8 times faster? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I use a Windows Explorer replacement (Explorer++) and tried it with Windows Explorer too (pulldown the MORE arrow to get the data on the dialog box), same results. I've never been faster on any drop if that matters.

Suggestions?

I might go back to .018 too and see if booting is now a problem, it never was before?

Hello guys, I'm running version 3.0.3.0-025 with .cfg restore from previous 1.1.2.1-004 build.

You should not use a cfg file from a different firmware; and even at times you should not use a cfg file from from the same firmware and start from scratch.

If the worse is worst, you can restore to defaults, 30-30-30 or both. Re-flash firmware (using recovery mode if you so desire) and then start from scratch.

You may also need to clear your browsers cache to reset the images.

Hi guys, im new here and needed help. I cant seem to stream medias properly using my samsung blu-ray player

Could be a problem with the blu-ray player itself being incompatible with the version of DLNA, or other permutations. E.g. it could be an issue with a wireless setting that the BR player does not like. You might have to try some things, or even flash/update the BR player.

I see there are new downloads. What is the difference between the "Aria" build and the regular one?

Anyone else have a problem using Facetime with the offload Tcp/Udp for Lan/Wifi setting on the RTn56U(3.0.3.0-026)? I couldnt get Facetime to connect on my Ipad yesterday and then I remebered that I had changed the offload setting to Tcp/Udp for Lan/Wifi. Once I changed back to the "Offload TCP for Lan/Wifi" it worked fine. Any ideas why it wouldnt work?

Guest network questions

I have a pair of RT-N56U's configured as access points (with Padavan's 3.0.3.0-026 firmware) and I would like to set up a guest network. I use m0n0wall as my firewall/router.

The question I have is how can I make the guest network connect only to the internet? I can't find any configuration options to do this.
My first thought was to use a VLAN and set up a corresponding VLAN on the m0n0wall. But there does not seem to be any VLAN support in the firmware.
Router behind a router is not really an option as I want my non-guest users to be able to access other devices on my network.

Any suggestions?

fix for ipv6 neighbor table overflow errors when using ipv6

Hello,

I have experienced alot of ipv6 neighbor errors when using the various firmwares for the n56U that show up as:

ipv6: Neighbour table overflow.
net_ratelimit: 42 callbacks suppressed

in the logs.

I have stopped these errors by increasing the amount of neighbor table entries in the startup script like so:

/sbin/sysctl -w net.ipv6.neigh.default.gc_thresh1=256
/sbin/sysctl -w net.ipv6.neigh.default.gc_thresh2=1024
/sbin/sysctl -w net.ipv6.neigh.default.gc_thresh3=2048

If this could be added to the firmware, it should solve the ipv6 errors.

-Jon

I have a pair of RT-N56U's configured as access points (with Padavan's 3.0.3.0-026 firmware) and I would like to set up a guest network. I use m0n0wall as my firewall/router.

The question I have is how can I make the guest network connect only to the internet? I can't find any configuration options to do this.
My first thought was to use a VLAN and set up a corresponding VLAN on the m0n0wall. But there does not seem to be any VLAN support in the firmware.
Router behind a router is not really an option as I want my non-guest users to be able to access other devices on my network.

Any suggestions?

Doesn't the guest network only give access to the internet? I've never tested the guest network part of my RT-N56U units. I do have one setup as a guest network, but I only use that for my Smart scale to connect to the internet.

Doesn't the guest network only give access to the internet? I've never tested the guest network part of my RT-N56U units. I do have one setup as a guest network, but I only use that for my Smart scale to connect to the internet.
As an access point it doesn't, it just looks like a second SSID. I would imagine (have not tried it yet) that as a router it probably separates the traffic. In my case configuring the RT-N56U as a router introduces more problems as the private clients need access to LAN resources.

I must admit that being able to put the client SSID on a VLAN would be the easiest option for me as I could configure the m0n0wall to have a separate LAN interface on the same VLAN and only allow internet access for the guest clients (with bandwidth management).

I would imagine (have not tried it yet) that as a router it probably separates the traffic.

You can isolate the guest network from LAN and Wi-Fi. I isolate my roommate and others that use the guest network. I also tested it with my wireless printer and was unable to communicate to it from the LAN. However, I am assuming you want to isolate guest from guest also? I am unsure if it does that or if it can.

As an access point it doesn't, it just looks like a second SSID. I would imagine (have not tried it yet) that as a router it probably separates the traffic. In my case configuring the RT-N56U as a router introduces more problems as the private clients need access to LAN resources.

I must admit that being able to put the client SSID on a VLAN would be the easiest option for me as I could configure the m0n0wall to have a separate LAN interface on the same VLAN and only allow internet access for the guest clients (with bandwidth management).

Isn't there VLAN support with one of the new firmwares?

I see one titled "RT-N56U_3.0.3.0v-026 (en-ru). IPv6+IPv4. Linux kernel 3.0.50. 1xRGMII + VLAN1/2. Aria2 build"

Although I have no idea what the Aria build is.

EDIT: I see another one titled "RT-N56U_3.0.3.0v-026 (en-ru). IPv6+IPv4. Linux kernel 3.0.50. 1xRGMII + VLAN1/2"

Isn't there VLAN support with one of the new firmwares?

I see one titled "RT-N56U_3.0.3.0v-026 (en-ru). IPv6+IPv4. Linux kernel 3.0.50. 1xRGMII + VLAN1/2. Aria2 build"

Although I have no idea what the Aria build is.

EDIT: I see another one titled "RT-N56U_3.0.3.0v-026 (en-ru). IPv6+IPv4. Linux kernel 3.0.50. 1xRGMII + VLAN1/2"
Thanks!

I must admit I hadn't seen that version, when I downloaded I only saw the "full" and "aria" versions. I'll try it now.

Thanks!

I must admit I hadn't seen that version, when I downloaded I only saw the "full" and "aria" versions. I'll try it now.
OK, so I installed the VLAN version, so far I have not found any way of configuring VLAN via the web interface so I will need to troll through all of the available commands via telnet/ssh and see what is there.

More comments to follow...

ok decided to give this a try (3.0.3.0-026) given that the latest Asus firmware was much better but gives intermittent wireless pings and disconnects on both a brand new andriod xperia T and a Laptop with both a realtek and a atheros chipset tested! :mad: can you imagine an average joe/jane buying this and wondering how to fix the damn thing!

So Padavans new firmware looks amazing, and there is so much clear information, i especially like the guest wireless.

my problem is that when using a program called 'speedtest.net' although downloads are fine @ 72MBPs :eek: the upload feature doesn't work? it did for every other router and the asus firmware, so obviously something is blocked? any ideas?
other broadband speed test sites work fine albeit slower.

any help appreciated

* ps, what is the difference between the mini firmware im running and aria2? is it just VLAN support?

Last edited: