What's new

Personalizing gui appearance -solved-

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carlos M.

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I've two routers with Merlin and... when I access to make changes I have same gui layout with both sessions.

Could I customize the appearence. Just a change of the page background color culd be enough.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Assuming the 2 routers are different models, I'm sure it'd be far easier just to develop the habit of glancing up at the top left corner of the screen.

You will have to copy the file you wish to modify from /www/ to /jffs/, and create a services-start script to mount the writable file on top of the read-only one.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
mount -o bind /jffs/somefile.css /www/somefile.css

You could do it to one of the CSS files, or to index.asp - up to you. Depends what you want to change.

Any change done to /jffs/somefile.css will be used by the webui.

Note that you will have to redo that file every time you upgrade the firmware, as webui files are preprocessed at compile time.

Both are N66u. I'll try to do the mod but I don't feel too much comfortable editing code and using a terminal...

Both the same! Sod's Law. You might not feel confident now about editing code - and that's more than I can do - but this is the best way to learn: to have a specific reason or need. And it might take a few weeks even months before it all makes sense, but, afterwards, you'll be the person answering future posts on how to do it.

And there are plenty of experts in this forum more than willing to offer advice and explanations along the way.

So don't give up!

Sure, martinr, thanks! I'ts the way to learn. Have a motivation and find the right place to investigate/ask for support ;)
I have been happy with Tomato during the last 3 years but... I want explore in other ways...
I have no problem with terminal but... need to understand/confirm what language I must use and after... start speaking my routers. In a short time I'll have a beer with both ;)

Thanks

what language I must use

Hi Carlos

I know that above you meant "scripting language", but it gave me an idea.

If you are comfortable in another language in addition to English, would it work for you to change the display language of one of the routers ? It would help to remember which is which, when the system menus of both are open at the same time in your web browser.

Of course there are disadvantages (lack of standardisation) but if this is not important to you, could this be an easy work around ?

Using Merlins tips its pretty easy to change just the logo for example.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%2010.35.12.jpg

Code:
#!/bin/sh

mount -o bind /jffs/asustitle.png /www/images/New_ui/asustitle.png

Hi Carlos

I know that above you meant "scripting language", but it gave me an idea.

If you are comfortable in another language in addition to English, would it work for you to change the display language of one of the routers ? It would help to remember which is which, when the system menus of both are open at the same time in your web browser.

Of course there are disadvantages (lack of standardisation) but if this is not important to you, could this be an easy work around ?
Cool!! could be an option. The lazy option but could be ;)

Thanks!!

Using Merlins tips its pretty easy to change just the logo for example.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-14%20at%2010.35.12.jpg

Code:
#!/bin/sh

Ok, thanks, I understand mapping a new image from /jffs/ to the /www/ folder could be the trick. Now I must find the way to put the image into the /jffs/ folder ;))

Thanks mate

Ok, thanks, I understand mapping a new image from /jffs/ to the /www/ folder could be the trick. Now I must find the way to put the image into the /jffs/ folder ;))

Thanks mate

If you get chance to come back with the details when you have done it, I'd be very grateful: it's an interesting exercise that I'd follow as an introduction to the subject.

If you get chance to come back with the details when you have done it, I'd be very grateful: it's an interesting exercise that I'd follow as an introduction to the subject.
Hi!!! I got it.

After some drafts I made the right png image.

14-1-2016 19.1.47 1.jpg
14-1-2016 19.1.26 2.jpg

If you like, I have the PSD file.

I tried to keep the desing from RMerlin. I don't want disturb, just have my workflow in a easy way. :)

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited:
So, from not being comfortable about editing code, to solving the problem in 24 hours; I think that is outstanding progress.

I'll have a look at it myself for fun and if I get stuck, I'll come to you for help.

Well done.

With knowledge about Photoshop and the WinSCP... no CLI/code needed ;) just a game.
Thanks for your support, will be a pleasure attend your questions.

Keep a secret, I could not find the .asp file into the /www/ to change the "RT-N66U" text... :(

Cheers

Uhh....still need to learn Linux scripts.... the mount command will be lost on a reboot, so you need to set it in a script.

Uhh....still need to learn Linux scripts.... the mount command will be lost on a reboot, so you need to set it in a script.
Merlin mentioned which script to add it to further up.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Well... something like this:?

/jffs/scripts/logo_script with:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

14-1-2016 22.1.47 1.jpg

With the script into the /jffs/scripts/ and the related code inside I think after a router reboot I will mount the modified logo for the gui.

Please, confirm if is right and I will copy the file into the right path. :(

Thanks

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!