What's new

Powerline/HomePlug Advice Sought

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nheather

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I currently use TP-Link AV 500 home plugs. Never questioned the performance until recently I tried to stream from my new Synology NAS and found that I get stuttering.

This is streaming uncompressed Blurays, I have tried a few that have been compressed with Handbrake and they stream fine.

So did some tests in different parts of the house today and this is what I found.

Internet access - the home network is running faster than my broadband so I get full internet bandwidth.

I then tried some file transfers with my NAS first over Powerline/Homeplug and second other Ethernet.

What I found was that over AV 500 I am getting a consistent

40 Mbps (bits per second) write
20 Mbps (bits per second) read

I suspect that the 20 Mbps is not quite enough.

So thinking of upgrading to AV2 1300 or AV2 2000.

Will I see a significant improvement in the download speed?

Cheers,

Nigel

Maybe. The newer stds are more robust, but it all depends on the wiring. Do you have any arc fault breakers in the electrical panel ?

What was the transfer speed over ethernet ?

So thinking of upgrading to AV2 1300 or AV2 2000.

Will I see a significant improvement in the download speed?
Check the Powerline Chart.

Powerline technology improved a lot in HomePlug AV2. I'd give any of the AV2 adapters a try. I also found them better in dealing with line noise.

No I don't have any ARC breakers.

Over ethernet is fine, approaching 100Mbps or 1000Mbps depending on whether I am using a Gigbit connection or not.

Cheers,

Nigel