What's new

PPTP VPN Client default gateway on AC87

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scottts

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've been trying to set up a persistent PPTP VPN client to my work network. It works, but it uses the remote network as the default gateway when connected which prevents me from browsing the net while the client is attached.

I don't see a way to control this (unlike the VPN network connection in windows which allows you to NOT use the remote network as the local nets default gateway).

Anybody else out there trying to setup a persistent VPN client found a way to have the client up and browse the web simultaneously?

Thanks

I've been trying to set up a persistent PPTP VPN client to my work network. It works, but it uses the remote network as the default gateway when connected which prevents me from browsing the net while the client is attached.

When attaching to a work VPN end-point, it's wise to consider using a computer, not the router, just for the reasons you mention, as this can cause all sorts of policy/HR issues when you mix the streams between personal stuff and work...

Have a dedicated machine that talks to the employer/work network, and that's where connectivity and data goes...

Don't cross the streams - worst case - if the employer gets into a lawsuit of some sorts, the lawyers can grab all your gear as part of the discovery process if you cross the streams between work and personal stuff...

In my case, I am not connecting from a personal computer, but trying to connect a small remote office to the main office. The problem is that the main office's internet connection is quite slow at only 25mbps, whereas the remote office has a 250mbps connection. In reality, the VPN is only used to occasionally to transfer small files and so far each PC has simply been 'dialing' in separately when needed.

persistent PPTP VPN client

Also keep in your plans to migrate to something beyond PPTP at some point - this VPN method is being rapidly removed from most platforms due to inherent security issues (even though ease of setup and performance are still pluses).

I just got this strange mental picture of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man stomping on his router:eek:

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point!

:D

I just got this strange mental picture of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man stomping on his router:eek:

Hehe - and that's kind of the picture I was hoping folks would see...

It is a fun way of reminding folks - esp. in these days of BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) stuff - never mix work stuff with personal stuff - it's an easy trap to fall in to, and one that can be tough to get out of...

In reality, the VPN is only used to occasionally to transfer small files and so far each PC has simply been 'dialing' in separately when needed.

Might consider other approaches - Box.net is business oriented, and has appropriate policy safeguards and access control, unlike Dropbox (even though Dropbox has gotten much better lately about this) or Microsoft's solution - if you're just looking for the occasional file upload/download/sync across offices, this might be a solution rather than trying to do a VPN site-to-site...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!