What's new

[Preview] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.3 pre-release test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope to get in the next future a definitive and working Merlin version including AiMesh support.....I want use Asus routers for long time...,I don't want put aside any Asus router.....

@RMerlin I'm getting this error in my logs since updating to newest alpha for ac3100.
Code:
TCP: time wait bucket table overflow
Is it something I've done wrong?
skeal,

I found this explanation from Merlin:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/possible-issue.18244/

It means a high number of TIME_WAIT state connections. Can happen in theory if you are being bombarded with connection attempts, or if you are using a client that establishes a lot of connections (think Bittorrent) and either the client has been closed (leaving to many remote peers trying to connect to you), or you are trying to connect to a lot of unreachable peers.

The Network Tools -> Netstat page might give you a hint.

My question is now that RT-AC5300 has been officially bumped to Version 3.0.0.4.384.20287 will you try to get a GPL to see if it can be bumped up on merlin's version as well?

I have an ac86u and I have a usb3 dock hard disk connected (disabled the interference option).

Using Merlin's firmware latest alpha or even the previous 382.1.2 stable I receive the following error:
Error 0x8007010B: The directory name is invalid.

I have tried all the combinations of settings under Media Server tab with no luck.

No errors with Asus official firmware

Attachments

• mediaserver1error.JPG
    mediaserver1error.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 659
  • mediaserver1.JPG
    mediaserver1.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 640
I hope to get in the next future a definitive and working Merlin version including AiMesh support.....I want use Asus routers for long time...,I don't want put aside any Asus router.....

This must be one of the most requested features over the past few weeks, several posts regarding AiMesh are found across the forum. First and foremost, I see no reason why you would need to put your Asus router aside. Either @RMerlin finds a way to incorporate AiMesh (if he's able to have it properly supported within Asuswrt-Merlin, as he mentioned) or you always have a choice to revert to stock Asus firmware with full AiMesh support (assuming Asus finds a way to sort out the issues it currently has).

Either way, you'd be able to enjoy your Asus router, so no need to lay it aside. Maybe not in the ideal combination you're looking for, but I believe that's one of the downsides of Asus decisions to move more and more functionality in closed source components, which makes it harder and harder for @RMerlin to provide all stock features and his great additional or improved functionality. I guess you can't always have the best of both worlds, unfortunately. If I had to choose, I'd choose Asuswrt-Merlin over AiMesh anytime.

Since asus released new firmware today will these updates find their way into this build?

No, 384.3 will remain based on 384_10007, as I don't want to restart the whole development cycle again from the start a second time. The buffer overflow issue was already fixed a few days ago in the test build I uploaded (and their patch is identical to mine).

Note sure if this is still relevant?

TCP: time wait bucket table overflow

Last time I saw this was when I upgraded the firmware and kept the web page open afterward, and it failed to reload the login page. It's caused by the browser constantly trying to open a new http session, getting rejected due to authentication failure, and retrying over and over, filling up the router with TCP connection attempts on port 80.

A simple reload of the browser page will fix this.

My question is now that RT-AC5300 has been officially bumped to Version 3.0.0.4.384.20287 will you try to get a GPL to see if it can be bumped up on merlin's version as well?

Not within the 384.3 development cycle.

Last edited:
VPN-Status page in french is still broken with this alpha.

Attachments

• Sans titre1.png
    Sans titre1.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 593
  • Sans titre2.png
    Sans titre2.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 649
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    110.7 KB · Views: 619
VPN-Status page in french is still broken with this alpha.

Probably a quote or an accent breaking the JS code - it has happened in the past.

I don't generally test other languages because it's quite time-consuming. While at it, could you go through every single page in French to see if other pages are having issues like the VPNStatus page? That way I'll be able to have a pass at fixing any others at the same time.

No worries
I have tried all other languages and all tabs are ok. Its always with french. :D Sorry to bother you again with this.

A few times, it was Russian or Italian that were broken by unescaped quotes.

Probably a quote or an accent breaking the JS code - it has happened in the past.

I don't generally test other languages because it's quite time-consuming. While at it, could you go through every single page in French to see if other pages are having issues like the VPNStatus page? That way I'll be able to have a pass at fixing any others at the same time.

Indeed FR.dict line 693 has no backslash before the apostrophe:
Code:
Access_Time=Temps d'accès
This may be intentional, because the <#Access_Time#> tag is also used in an HTML context in Guest_network.asp. So if you would add a backslash before the quote it would appear on that page visibly. I think it could be solved in FR.dict by changing that line to Access_Time=Temps d&#39;accès.

But to solve this issue in Advanced_VPNStatus.asp an easy solution would be to build the string in function parseIPSecData using double quotes instead of single quotes around the pieces. Just like the string is built in function showIPSecClients in Advanced_VPN_IPSec.asp.

Like this:
Code:
-        code += '<th style="text-align:left;white-space:nowrap;"><#Access_Time#></th>';
+        code += "<th style='text-align:left;white-space:nowrap;'><#Access_Time#></th>";

Last edited:
can someone tell me what the best Wi-Fi settings are? (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)

I help someone with a 500/500 fiber connection but the wifi on 5 GHz stays around 150/400. (Download not good, upload good)

Upgraded to 384 latest alpha as of today, seems stable so far, no issues with port forwarding etc. Forgive me if the issues I mention have already been reported.

Points noted so far:
384 bugs also observed on the beta shown with an *

Bug: *One bug I noticed in the beta was a wireless survey only showed 2.4ghz devices - this seems the same on 384

Bug: Client list from main page shows ALL devices as being connected via RJ45

Bug? *Roku Streambox can't pick up the 5ghz network (same on the beta) - Picked up fine on my AC3200 running 380 branch (apparently the roku boxes only like certain channels/ranges? With users having issues on a what seems like a variety of AP's)

Note: Changing wireless name doesn't really change until reboot (feature? means can do other tweaks before applying properly) - Pages will show the new connection, but equipment stays connected to the old SSID until a reboot of the AP.

Observations:
Tools section shows total memory as being 503.11 rather than 512 (seems like an odd number?)
Network section of tools *does* show 2 devices connected on 5ghz and none on 2.4ghz - there are definitely devices on 2.4 here!

logs show:
Jan 28 19:28:35 192.168.2.1 kernel: ERR[ioctl_iqos_op_config:3592] parse qos_conf error!!
Jan 28 19:28:35 192.168.2.1 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_config() fail!
Jan 28 19:28:35 192.168.2.1 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3344] QoS is already started!
Jan 28 19:28:35 192.168.2.1 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!

Asides from this I must say very stable for what you're calling alpha Eric, thanks :)

Was under the impression that to change the system password one enters any combination of characters and symbols up to 16 long and then hits 'apply'. The cool green box was reporting very strong at 16. Then I watched the router update screen count up the % done to 100% and the login screen reappeared.

The surprise was that requested change does not take place. The new password does not work. The old password continues to work. So I then tried it with a 8 alpha character password to keep it simple .. hit 'apply' and it did not take either.

After some more machinations I reboot the router and was surprised to find my old password no longer worked. Fortunately I was writing down all the different new passwords I was trying and discovered that it applied the last new one I entered before the reboot.

I checked the owners manual and it does not say anything about needing to reboot the system after hitting 'apply'. Someone may want to check up to see if this is an alpha f/w only issue or a regular thing no one explained or documented for stock f/w. Here is a clip from a page in the E9183 RT-AC68U Manual downloaded today. (Would be nice touch if Asus told us what characters are allowed and how many)

upload_2018-1-28_15-23-20.png

upload_2018-1-28_15-25-53.png

AC3100 here, latest alpha and things are running wonderfully. I also installed AMTM, Entware, Skynet and Ab-Solution and all seems to be working fine. I was running the stock 384 from Asus and lord I forget how amazing it is to come back to Merlin's FW.

Also worth mentioning Merlin's FW seems to work some magic with my Wifi devices that communicate with each other on my network ( Security Cameras, iPhone Baby Monitors ). For some reason on Stock Asus these devices would sometimes have trouble seeing each other ( obviously on the network but it was as if one device couldn't see the IP of the other ) but on Merlin's FW everything works exactly as it should. Huge thanks Merlin for keeping up the hard work and making these routers twice as useful to us.

Indeed FR.dict line 693 has no backslash before the apostrophe:
Code:
Access_Time=Temps d'accès
This may be intentional, because the <#Access_Time#> tag is also used in an HTML context in Guest_network.asp. So if you would add a backslash before the quote it would appear on that page visibly. I think it could be solved in FR.dict by changing that line to Access_Time=Temps d&#39;accès.

But to solve this issue in Advanced_VPNStatus.asp an easy solution would be to build the string in function parseIPSecData using double quotes instead of single quotes around the pieces. Just like the string is built in function showIPSecClients in Advanced_VPN_IPSec.asp.

Like this:
Code:
-        code += '<th style="text-align:left;white-space:nowrap;"><#Access_Time#></th>';
+        code += "<th style='text-align:left;white-space:nowrap;'><#Access_Time#></th>";

Ideally, httpd's code that replaces dictionary tags with strings should take care of automatically escaping characters appropriately (using &quote tags and the likes). I fear this might break other things however, so for now the best is probably to just switch quoting methods on a per case basis.

Anyone know of a way I can confirm AI Protection is working properly? I ask because as with previous alpha firmware I go through a checklist, one of which is enabling AI Protection then navigating to trendmicro’s reputation checker.

I’m running into something that happened on a 382 alpha where I no longer get the router’s protection page stating the page was blocked. Wish there was a defenitive way to verify AI Protection is working but just wondering if anyone was experiencing the same. Thanks.

Test Ai Protection using the links from the Trend Micro Web Protection test page:

https://success.trendmicro.com/solu...the-web-reputation-feature-in-officescan-osce

They don't all produce the warning page, but I haven't looked into it to determine the reason. The warning page is the result of the reputation scores.

Yep, that is my “go to” site for testing AI Protection. None of them display the typical warning page, like I’ve seen with past firmware. Could be my Skynet/AB-Solution installation, maybe? Not sure, but wanted to mention it since I remember a previous alpha firmware having a similar issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!