What's new

Print Server Recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
Hi Everyone,
I'm in need of assistance again.
I have three network printers that I want to cloud enable with google cloud and apple airprint. Does anyone have recommendations on low-cost, small footprint print server that will support 3 laser printers and both google cloud and apple airpint services?

In advance, thanks.

Howdy ~ perhaps you've already come across Lantronix xPrintServer during your research but in case it helps your quest, I figure it's worth a mention.

It's a small little device that sits on a network and offers USB and network printers to iOS and Android devices as native printers. An xPrintServer can support multiple printers. It's important to note that there are two editions of xPrintServer - one designed to handle AirPrint duty and one designed to handle CloudPrint duty. Maybe adding one from each edition to your network will do the trick.

Presumably, they can co-exist on the same network and work in concert but that'd be something Lantronix pre-sales can nail down. (If they do say it works, I suggest asking them for a setup guide/configuration template ahead of time so you're not bitten by any "gottchas" (e.g. address conflicts; print cue problems) or small print disclaimers found only inside the box that will have just waisted your valuable time.)

SNB reviewed one of the units here

Sorry I can't be definitive if they work together on the same network. Though pricy, the AirPrint unit I have works very well with our 2 network printers. I no longer field support calls beginning with "I can't print."

I imagine there are equally good (or better) solutions available today that didn't exist in the early days of AirPrint when I needed a solution, so please take this heads-up to xPrintServer as just one avenue to explore. Cheers

Lantronix xPrintServer

update: I just checked their online store and the normally pricier flavor of the AirPrint edition is on sale, cheaper than the base flavor

Last edited:
Thanks

Hi PeterO,

It's taken me a while to get back to this, but thanks for the detailed response.

I've seen the Lantronix device but ruled it out because I would have to buy one for iOS and another device for Android. The device itself is also more than I am willing to spend. I am currently using my Synology NAS to handle this function, but was really hoping there might be another dedicated solution that is both cheap and handles both iOS and Android. For now, I'm going to stick with using the NAS to act as my print server.

Thanks again - Dan

My small Synology NAS has an Airprint compatible support package.

So my Epson Workforce 630 (which lacks Airprint support) is used by the NAS. The iPAD sees the Synology support as an airprint printer.

My Windows PC has drivers of course and prints directly to the Epson without going through the Synology Airprint (of course!).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!