What's new

[Problem]ADSL Connection Problem with RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

S3pHiroTh

New Around Here
I have bought two weeks ago this router for replacing my old Netgear, after I have updated the router to the last firmware (reset after the update) and configure it, I have found some difficulties about the "stability" of this router.
I explain better my problem: sometimes happens that my ADSL modem (TP-Link TD-8616) lose ADSL connection but after some seconds, the modem restore it but the router seems to be not updated with the latest IP Address my provider gives to my modem.

The only working solutions I have found in these days are:
- Restart phisically the router pressing the on/off button
- Go into the website of the router, click on the "symbol of the World" (where it shows me Internet status) and turn off and some seconds after turn on again my Internet connection

I have already tried to reset the router and configure only the basic settings, but this problem persists. I can wait one minute, ten or whatelse, but the problem isn't fixed until I do one of the two action I have described above.

I have tried to do a firmware upgrade with the merlin one, but the problem is the same.

Is there a way to tell the router to check if the ADSL connection has the same IP Address that router shows on the main webpage or it is changed for the problem I have described above?

Thank you for anyone will answer and sorry for my english, I hope you can understand the problem

The trouble is with the ancient dhcp protocol, the router does not check for a new IP till half the lease time is up - I assume its lease is long/still valid? Windows and other OSes know this and as soon as they detect problems with the internet they first try asking for a new IP.
If your ISP uses pppoe the best solution is to put the modem in full bridge mode then enter the login details into the router.
If you cannot do this it is possible to add a ping script to asuswrt-merlin which checks connectivity and restarts the wan if a number of pings fail.

The trouble is with the ancient dhcp protocol, the router does not check for a new IP till half the lease time is up - I assume its lease is long/still valid? Windows and other OSes know this and as soon as they detect problems with the internet they first try asking for a new IP.
If your ISP uses pppoe the best solution is to put the modem in full bridge mode then enter the login details into the router.
If you cannot do this it is possible to add a ping script to asuswrt-merlin which checks connectivity and restarts the wan if a number of pings fail.

First of all thanks for the answer, my modem is set as in the picture below. Is the encapsulation method right for the "full bridge"? My provider says on his modem configuration page to set these parameters:
  • PROTOCOL: PPPoE
  • ENCAPSULATION: LLC
  • VPI: 8
  • VCI: 35

on my router is set in this way, is that wrong? It doesn't seem to be wrong to me

oops looks like that is a bridge only modem, so ignore my comment about dhcp - suggest you post a relevant example from the log and someone better informed about pppoe may be able to help.