What's new

Problem with Netgear GS108Ev3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

colecaz

Regular Contributor
I'm having a problem with the Netgear GS108Ev3 8 port smart switch in that it doesn't show up in the Netgear ProSafe Plus configuration utility unless I'm running the utility on a computer connected directly to the switch. All the other similar switches in my network (GS105E, GS108Ev1) show up as they should and allow me to configure them from anywhere on the subnet.

I worked with Netgear support for over an hour reconfiguring my network to see if the order in which the switch was accessed by the network mattered and it all came back to the GS108Ev3 not responding correctly. Support took my configuration files and supposedly sent them to engineering for analysis. We tried various firmware revisions, including an unreleased Alpha version.

Yesterday I get a call from Netgear saying basically "That's the way it works, no problems found". I told them "No, Problem". It doesn't work with your configuration utility like the rest of the products.

Anybody else seen this behavior difference in versions of Netgear Plus smart switches? Any solution? I'm running them for their 802.1Q VLAN capabilities and have two VLANs configured.

EDIT 3/18/15:
An email from Netgear said the GS108Ev1 switch uses a BCM53118 chip which doesn't support Energy Efficient Internet. The v3 switch uses a BCM53128 which does. How that matters they didn't say. They also said the v3 switch will only respond to an untagged management packet, so if I want to see and configure it on the network I have to untag all switches on the subnet that manages the switches.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!