What's new

Problems with AC88U, ipV6 and Comcast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Morac

I upgraded from a Linksys E3000 running Tomato to an ASUS RT-AC88U first running the stock firmware and then upgraded to Merlin.

With Toastman and the E3000 I never had any problems with ipV6 and Comcast. It just worked. With the AC88U I'm having problems where IPv6 works for awhile and then stops. I tried switching to the latest Merlin from the stock firmware and it seems a bit better in that the router hasn't lost IPv6 as of yet, but I'm still having problems with LAN clients.

Here's what I'm experiencing. I set ipV6 to native and I get an IPv6 address on the router and on my devices. When I use ipv6 the devices show up under the "IPv6 Clients" section in the System log for IPv6. My computer stays there the whole time, but other devices disappear after a few minutes. Sometimes when I use them again, they will come back onto this page. That's if they keep working. Sometimes IPv6 simply stops working.

Here's a good example. On my iPad I had it connected to the 5 Ghz channel and it got an IPv6 address. After awhile it stopped working. I tried renewing the lease, but that didn't do anything. I switched to the 2.4 GHz channel and IPv6 started working again (and it showed up in the client list), so I switched back to 5 Ghz and IPv6 didn't work. I switched back and forth a few times and IPv6 worked on 2.4 Ghz, but not 5 Ghz, which made no sense. I saw the same problem on my iPhone.

Finally I turned off IPv6 on the router and turned off my devices and turned IPv6 back on and turned my devices back on and so far they are working, though my iPad and iPhone periodically disappear from the IPv6 client list. They disappear after about a minute. Though I can still ping them via their IPv6 address even after they disappear (usually). Sometimes there are two different IPv6 addresses displayed for the same MAC.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!