What's new

Processes and priorities...(No problem here).

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

huotg01

No problem here. I'm just curious to know how the device handles the priority of the processes running on the router? This is a router, therefore I would expect the device to first route IP packets (and use the QoS to prioritize within this priority). What about disk management, multimedia serving, etc., in relation to routing ?

Thanks.

No problem here. I'm just curious to know how the device handles the priority of the processes running on the router? This is a router, therefore I would expect the device to first route IP packets (and use the QoS to prioritize within this priority). What about disk management, multimedia serving, etc., in relation to routing ?

Thanks.

I know you can easily mess with userspace priorities with "nice", "renice", and "ionice", but I do not know anything useful about controlling low-level activities.

Just goofing around, while running some iperf benchmarks, I tested running iperf at maximum priority and it very negatively affected the benchmarks, causing lag spikes and very inconsistent throughput measurements. So, at least that level of adjustment is there. Being able to harness those adjustments to do something useful is beyond me though.

What are you trying to accomplish?

I want to play around with system profiling on embedded but I have not got around to it. I think you can recompile Asuswrt to include profiing support then use oprofile to monitor the system but I have zero experience with profiling.

Last edited:
I know you can easily mess with userspace priorities with "nice", "renice", and "ionice", but I do not know anything useful about controlling low-level activities.
Just goofing around, while running some iperf benchmarks, I tested running iperf at maximum priority and it very negatively affected the benchmarks, causing lag spikes and very inconsistent throughput measurements. So, at least that level of adjustment is there. Being able to harness those adjustments to do something useful is beyond me though.
What are you trying to accomplish?
I want to play around with system profiling on embedded but I have not got around to it. I think you can recompile Asuswrt to include profiing support then use oprofile to monitor the system but I have zero experience with profiling.
?????

Wow!