What's new

Promise Comments: Quieting Down the Promise SmartStor NS4300N and NS4300N Review!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hi pnd,

i use a win xp pc and a nmt by hdx (1080p, compareable to popcorn hour a110).
it happens on both machines dlna dvd structure playback wont work. via network access it stops, runs slow,etc.

thanx
andi

Ok.. What router and or switch? We may step you back in FW to see if the issue disappears or not... Send me your contact info in PM and I will try to have a downgrade version for you in a few days.

Thanks.

Joining AD

Hi all, I just succeeded in joining NS4300N this way:

I created a new admininstrator like account with "root" as username and with a password made of only letters, because PromiseNAsDude said "We have a special character issue and a workaround, and I assumed that issue was not actually got fixed :)
Btw.. I DONT know if both things (having a "root" account and a no special char password) are mandatory.. It was 3 a.m. when I figured it. Not it works and i follow the rule If work, dont fix.
I can now see all AD usersa and group andre user management in WebPASM
Hope it helps

Still cannot join. All I want to do is create a guest account for a divx media player to connect to it over the lan. Help anyone? Mind you, the best solution would be to join AD successfully :)

itunes plugin

Hi,

i tested the ns2300n a little bit more. now i got a problem with the itunes plugin:
i installed the latest version of it on the nas (with the latest firmware installed). then i started it. itunes on my pc (win xp sp3) finds it, the first time i start itunes. i see all the music files correctly and can play them. then when i shut itunes down and restart it a few times (for testing), after the 3rd or 4th restart of itunes or so, the nas is no longer avaiable under "shares" in itunes (i cannot see it in itunes anymore), and it doesnt "come" back.
i deleted the newest version of the itunes plugin and installed the first one (with rebooting the nas), but same problem there. does anybody knows whats going on? why is the nas diappearing in itunes. the normal folders or dlna doesnt disappear (ill see it all the time on the pc).

thx in advance
andi

AD join but has unable to access problem

Hi, I did read former ans for AD joining and success with it however I get to another problem.
The plan is to use NS4300 as a file server with AD permission after join AD it look fine however when the connection from workstation getting high it cause access problem with some workstations.

If you disconnect it and try to reconnect it again it will be error "insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service"

The only solution I did now is either stop windows service and restart again. Is there any limited number of connection at NS4300 box? How to increase it?

Please help

Guest Account

Is there a way to enable a Guest account on the NS4300N? All I want to do is to share the contents of the NS4300N with a Guest user on my Win2000 Server box.

Is this too much to ask?

Thanks

Hi Craig, (need to clarify) you have domain administrator rights to the NAS (which is joined to the AD)?

How would I know? What would I have to do to get it?

What I do know is this. When I have a windows machine that needs to be added to domain, the domain admin will use their username and password to add it to the domain. I will then (from the administrator local account) goto control panel and add my domain account to the administrators group. At that point, I can login as myself and am able to control everything on the windows box.

For the NAS, I had the domain admin use their username and password to join the NAS to the domain. I'm not sure how to make my domain account an administrator on the nas itself like I can thru windows control panel, however I determined (through lots of trial and error) that if connect to the nas thru AD from a windows machine (start/run \\name), if I make a subdirectory of a subdirectory (i.e. in PUBLIC), then I am able to change permissions on that subdir. I couldn't figure out how to change the permissions of PUBLIC itself, or to rename PUBLIC. I can create another folder in root (a share) from the webadmin named whatever I want, but still can't figure out how to change permissions on it, still limited to only changing permissions on its subdirs.

When I say permissions, I'm talking about which users have access, etc... I think permissions is the right word. But even with what I've figured out so far, I still haven't been able to figure out how to copy from the windows machine to the nas while keeping the same permissions, even when using a subdir. I have been trying to do this with robocopy. [I also experimented with permcopy, but permcopy isn't meant to work on subdirs of shares anyway, and since I haven't even been able to figure out how to edit permission on the shares manually, I didn't expect it to work automatically].

Still cannot join. All I want to do is create a guest account for a divx media player to connect to it over the lan. Help anyone? Mind you, the best solution would be to join AD successfully :)

Hi Ruff, if you are looking for a quest account that requires no authentication, this not possible at moment (but coming). As for the AD issues this will be easier via email.. :) billyh@promise.com

Thanks.

Is there a way to enable a Guest account on the NS4300N? All I want to do is to share the contents of the NS4300N with a Guest user on my Win2000 Server box.

Is this too much to ask?

Thanks

For PC to PC quest access, there is a default guest account:

username: guest
password: guest

Make sure the guest account has sharing rights for the directory (share) to be accessed. This can be done via Sharing Setup in PASM or SmartNAVI.

Thanks..

How would I know? What would I have to do to get it?

What I do know is this. When I have a windows machine that needs to be added to domain, the domain admin will use their username and password to add it to the domain. I will then (from the administrator local account) goto control panel and add my domain account to the administrators group. At that point, I can login as myself and am able to control everything on the windows box.

For the NAS, I had the domain admin use their username and password to join the NAS to the domain. I'm not sure how to make my domain account an administrator on the nas itself like I can thru windows control panel, however I determined (through lots of trial and error) that if connect to the nas thru AD from a windows machine (start/run \\name), if I make a subdirectory of a subdirectory (i.e. in PUBLIC), then I am able to change permissions on that subdir. I couldn't figure out how to change the permissions of PUBLIC itself, or to rename PUBLIC. I can create another folder in root (a share) from the webadmin named whatever I want, but still can't figure out how to change permissions on it, still limited to only changing permissions on its subdirs.

When I say permissions, I'm talking about which users have access, etc... I think permissions is the right word. But even with what I've figured out so far, I still haven't been able to figure out how to copy from the windows machine to the nas while keeping the same permissions, even when using a subdir. I have been trying to do this with robocopy. [I also experimented with permcopy, but permcopy isn't meant to work on subdirs of shares anyway, and since I haven't even been able to figure out how to edit permission on the shares manually, I didn't expect it to work automatically].

What you experienced is the norm. The permissions on the Public directory cannot be changed, you can only assign access. Subdirectories can have permissions (security) assigned to them under AD.

As for migrating data issue, this is a common issue because Security Permissions, NTFS Permissions and Domain Permissions are not copied to the NAS. Microsoft has some knowledge base docs on migrating domain permissions via reg key when moving data from one machine to another machine. But the doc is for NTFS to NTFS and does not apply to NAS. For the security and NTFS permissions, some 3rd party utilities exist. Here is a good acticle on how to get this done:

http://thebackroomtech.com/2007/08/...user-profiles-paths-in-a-windows-2003-domain/

Anything else let me know.

Thanks.

I picked up NS2300n at Mac World but am just now getting around to setting it up. But I have run into a problem. SmartNavi does not see it. I have swapped network cables and connected it directly to the router (Airport). The unit it self seems to be operating (all green lights, fan running, no blue smoke). Reading though this forum I see that someone else had the same problem (#124), but there was no response it his post. Any ideas of what to do next?

What you experienced is the norm. The permissions on the Public directory cannot be changed, you can only assign access.

I'll read what you linked for info on copying the permissions, but how do I "assign access" to public (or another "share" if I create it from pasm)? Right now everyone can get in. I could only control subdirs (by right clicking). If I connect thru AD (by \\nasname) and then right click on PUBLIC, nothing I change gets saved.

I picked up NS2300n at Mac World but am just now getting around to setting it up. But I have run into a problem. SmartNavi does not see it. I have swapped network cables and connected it directly to the router (Airport). The unit it self seems to be operating (all green lights, fan running, no blue smoke). Reading though this forum I see that someone else had the same problem (#124), but there was no response it his post. Any ideas of what to do next?

If you are just setting up the unit it has FW 1.3.7. The current FW is SR 1.5.6 and only works with SmartNAVI version v1.1.0.14. Please download v1.0.0.25 BETA. This version will see the unit.

Then upgrade FW to 1.5.6, uninstall SmartNAVI 1.0.0.25 and reinstall 1.1.0.14. :)

In 1.5.6 we changed MAC protocol used for detection from BOOTP to Bonjour. If issues, persist after sing 1.0.0.25, please contact me via PM or email (billyh@promise.com)..

Thanks..

Have all the emails been sent out already? Sent an email last week to billyh@promise.com, but didn't get an answer so far. Or do I have to open a ticket?

Otto

Hi Otto, Emails were sent out to everyone who signed up for the exchange before the September 24th deadline (last year - sorry for limited offer only). Do not recall an email from you but I may have missed (or it is in my junk mail or spam folder folders) as I get 100+ pieces of email per day (my apologies).

Thanks.

Very disappointed today

I took off early from work to see my brand new rev B. However, I am disappointed that I received the old red box with refurbished rev A unit in it. The serial number appears to be the earlier than what I had. The fan noise is the same and it's running 2400RPM at 38C. Led is dim compared to the side by side picture posted by Bill. I hope Promise will send the the rev B next time.
Thang.

Promise SmartStor NAS 4300 Slooow

I am having major performance issues with my SmartSor NAS. I have a 4300 with 4 1.5TB drives running in RAID 5.

I am copying a Dataset from a SATA 1TB drive that has 800GB of data in it. After running 24 hrs, only 13GB of data has transferred.

I tried setting the JumboFrame to 9K but the Windows performance monitor show I am using .15% of the 1GB network.

Help!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!