What's new

Promise Comments: Quieting Down the Promise SmartStor NS4300N and NS4300N Review!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Will firmware upgrade reset root password?

Hi,

I got root/shell access by using the password bug in the early firmware. That was a while ago. Now Promise has new firmware available. Anybody know if upgrading the firmware will rest the root password (to a factory and unknown one)? And if the new firmware has fixed this bug?

http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2007/Sep/1018754.html

Thanks,
Jerry

Attaching to Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS

I want to use one these devices as a storage repository for our Amanda backup server.

The problem is that the default Amanda installation uses UID 34. I'd normally just mount it to the Ubuntu system via NFS, but my understanding is that the NFS version on this uses UDP instead of TCP, and this is not functional on a GigE network.

So, I'm trying to mount it via SMB. But the system appears to not want to permit anonymous mounts via SMB, so I have to use credentials... which is fine but I can't assign a UID to the created user on the Promise NAS, so files written to the Promise NAS become owned by a different UID than Amanda, which is not happy about this.

... do folks have any suggestions as to a workaround? Does it really only use UDP NFS? If so, they shouldn't be advertising that as a supported "feature" when the device has a GigE connection, as the inevitable result will be data corruption!

... I may have to recompile Amanda to use a different UID. I know that would work, but it's undesireable from a maintenance perspective.

Hi,

I read all about AD join failure posts but no help, I'm experiencing same issues.

I did some google and found this topic. We cannot join AD from ns2300n.
Some users here experienced similar problems on the topic, I read the solutions but they didnt work out for me.

Anyone can help?
I also sent mail to promisedude, hope he helps.

We did date/time settings and entered Domain Controller as NTP server.
Tried Protocol Control from File & Print, selected AD Domain and entered Domain information.

I created a user as a Domain Admin with all letters on user name and password sections.
I log on to that domain with new created user, no problem, but ns2300n still gives failure.

ns2300n system information:
Operating System Embedded Linux
Version 01.03.0000.07
CPU MPC 8313E
Network Adapter Gigabit Ethernet Card 10/100/1000 Mbps

Domain Controller: Windows 2008 Std. x64
Domain: SOMESERVER.local
Domain Controller Computer Name: SOMECOMPUTER

I tried entering FQDN for Domain and DC Computer but still failure.

Yes, but for AFP ONLY (MAC).

So, AFP should be working.

For me, nothing works. I set up everything according to instructions, but as LAN.

I cannot perform any backups. TimeMachine does not work. SuperDuper fails. Silverkeeper fails: due to error 1\n: Invalid argument.

I am trying to backup to sparseimages, but everytime i try this renders the sparsimages locked on desktop (cannot be removed). After restart everything works fine for a couple of minutes.

I am on a G5 with 10.5.8, PromiseSmartStor NS4300N with 4 x 1.5 WD. Connect with afp to 192.168.1.2. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway IP Address 192.168.1.254.

I have managed to manually move over files to the NAS, but that is about all it did for me so far.

Hi. I get a problem where my system hangs on 95%. System LED flashes amber. When clicking on the “Locate”, 2beeps x 3times are heard. Rest oif the systems shows that everything is OK. File system management gets “stuck” at 95%!. I recently loaded the DLNA Media Server plug-in and the iTunes Server Plugin. Can it be one of them?

I doubt it. I have neither of them, but I am stuck at 95% anyway. What did you do about it?

DLNA Apple Lossless Encoder Audio

I have all my CDs converted in iTunes using the Apple Lossless Encoder, which is a MPEG4 (*.m4a) audio. The DLNA doesn't seem to recognize that. Is this format supported?

A.D. on NAS 4300n

When I add Nas to a.d I can access to nas.can anyone tell me how can I set user from a.d. to share in a.d. to make him file server for setting security and access to files

Map a drive from my NAS

I have a stand-alone SmartStor Ns4300N NAS device. All my music is there in a shared folder. It manages it own user. How do I map this drive from my Mvix 780? It says access denied. Not even the PUBLIC folder can be accessed. Can I create a user on my NAS? What should it be so that my MVIX can "login"?

Hello,

Anybody know if it is safe to upgrade firmware after root/shell hack? I changed the root password on firmware R3 using the web exploit.

Thanks,
Jerry

Network connection dropping

I am on a network of Windows based computer. We have multiple systems with multiple versions of Windows. Our network has zero problems with anything else.

I do not see how this is a Mac problem.

I have tried everything. Nothing helps. I would return it but the warranty is out.

Ok well I don't know if this thread is really still active anymore but I figure it won't hurt to post to see I can get some help. Anyway here's the deal I'm getting horrible write speeds from my computer to my NAS yet my read speeds while not awesome are significantly better (see attached picture) anybody have any ideas what would choke my write speeds but not read speed?

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!