What's new

Promise Comments: Quieting Down the Promise SmartStor NS4300N and NS4300N Review!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've being reading a lot of the posting.
I have 4 Samsung HD103UJ in a raid-5 array.
The Samsung HD103UJ is not in the supported list anymore (for new users). But it scares me a bit.
But if I want to change to for example 4 Samsungs HE103UJ I have to buy first 2 "1 TB" external drives to get my 2.5 TB data to a place to stall my data.
(I have 500 Gig free on my computer). The I install the new 4 Samsungs HE103UJ in the smartstor. Put all the data back.
Then I remain with 2 "1 TB" external drives and 4 "1 TB" Samsungs HD103UJ.
Expensive and what to do with all the drives ?
Any sugestions ?

hello,

i have a little problem with the NS4300.
i have installed the torrent plugin, and the smart navi software. i put a torrent link into it, but if i want to stop the donwload, or i want to remove the link from the list, nothing happends.
he download the file, but he don`t do that.

also i can´t see the downloadspeed, or how much the file is finished.

greetz from germany.

Dear PromiseNasDude...

Do you have any plan to share the love with folks who bought the Edge10 Nas400 version of your product?

Do you know if the Edgestore NAS400 has the fan-control feature?

PS. Why was the ability to migrate Raid5 to other stuff removed? Thanks.

Unfortunately since the NS4300N doesn't appear to support NFSv3 using TCP it's not compatible with VMware ESX. I imagine that VMware felt that the connectionless UDP method was inappropriate for a VM since it should require integrity at all times.

I don't know how XEN connnects to NFS, it may work.

Hangs on 95%

Hi. I get a problem where my system hangs on 95%. System LED flashes amber. When clicking on the “Locate”, 2beeps x 3times are heard. Rest oif the systems shows that everything is OK. File system management gets “stuck” at 95%!. I recently loaded the DLNA Media Server plug-in and the iTunes Server Plugin. Can it be one of them?

Anyone else notice file transfers dropping/pausing or if u are in the PSAM?

I think I've narrowed it down to it only happening AFTER the NAS comes out of standby.

It only seems to effect uploads to the NAS (at least thats when i seem to notice it) downloads from the nas seem ok.

After a fresh reboot it works fine. Anyone else notice this?

I'm on the latest NS4300N SR5.1 Service Release Firmware.

Thanks to PromiseNasDude Regarding the NS4300N REV B Exchange Program

Having no intention to clutter this thread, I just like to commend Promise and especially PromiseNasDude for being proactive towards higher customers satisfaction. Thanks for going extra miles to implement the NS4300N REV B Exchange Program. It took only a few days after my unit was received by Promise for the REV B unit to show up at my door. Also kudos to thiggins for making it possible in the first place for us to share our product experiences and interact with manufactures (Promise in this case).

Zacharee

I agree as well. I will be buying the new 4600 when it comes out because of this support. I'm looking forward to a faster performing device and at least we know that they will stand behind their product.

Only reason I bought my 4300 was because I came across this forum and saw PromiseDude helping everyone. And turns out, he replies to every single Pm as well. May take him time, but d00d busts his butt to get to it. When I need a new NAS (which I may out grow this 4300 already with 4TB), I will def be buyin the 4600.

having no intention to clutter this thread, i just like to commend promise and especially promisenasdude for being proactive towards higher customers satisfaction. Thanks for going extra miles to implement the ns4300n rev b exchange program. It took only a few days after my unit was received by promise for the rev b unit to show up at my door. Also kudos to thiggins for making it possible in the first place for us to share our product experiences and interact with manufactures (promise in this case).

Zacharee

rub it in why don't you.

To enable AD

I need some help here. I'm getting very frustrated :mad: because I cannot do one simple task that is supposed to be straight forward. I want to enable AD. I know many of you have managed but I have not. All I want to do is to use the same users and rights from my Win2000 server on the NAS drives. Since the NAS does not come with a builtin Guest account, then the only way I can see for me to be able to do this is to enable AD.

Can ANYONE help please?

Thanks

Having issues with access to NAS BOX via Vista

I have 3 NS 4300N's at home. I just setup the 3rd one with 4 x 1TB drives.

The issue I am having is that when I try to access via Vista, it says it can't access \\nas_box_2\PUBLIC (nor any of the other folders). I fixed the other folders by deleting them and recreating them, but PUBLIC still has that issue. I try to assign sharing rights, etc but nothing works. I do not have this issue on my other 2 boxes.

It has the lasted firmware, etc as I downloaded them yesterday and upgraded today.

Hi
Srry to bug, but are there any news on the 2TB drives compatibility? Any official word, or anyone tried it?

Thanx
Rumen

Anybody knows...

...when the new firmware release for the ns2300n will be released?
Hope it will be released soon. I need it for the "real free user" access.

Andi

Problems with dl / streaming rate

hi,

i got a problem:
i'm using the ns2300n to store some media stuff. its connected via 200mbit powerlan and everything works fine with the exception of while watching videos on my pc or network media box (e.g. the hdx 1000 same as the popcorn hour thing). i got the following problem:
while watching original dvd copies (1:1) the data-stream is sometimes "too slow", it got "drop outs". this repeats every 3-5 minutes or so.
while watching a mkv file (e.g. an 720p movie and dts sound) there are no probs with it (never).
i tried smb connection and nfs connection, but same problem with both.
does anybody knows why dvds causing troubles, mkvs don't?
is it because dvds using higher data-stream?

thx in advance
andi

Promise NS4300N and Active Domain

Hello all,
I have one NAS unit joined to a Windows 2003 active domain, the problem is that all the users newly created in the domain cannot access the NAS device.
Only the "old" users that were already present before to join the NAS to the domain
can access the device shares.
In the NAS web management page I can see the users list and it shows only the old users.
To make a test I have deleted two old users from the domain and after a while they disappeared from the NAS users management page...
I have opened two Web Support requests on
https://support.promise.com
but nobody answers...
thanks for any ideas

I have sent you a PM and you never replied

I sent you a pm a few months ago back in February and have yet to get a reply from you. Can you please reply back so that I may be put on the list for an exchange as the fan noise is a little much, especially being that i have this box next to my other A/V equipment.

Thank you

Hi khambati, appreciate it the feeback. :)

1. The performance you are experiencing is right on par. The average performance for reads via SMB and AFP is around 15 to 25 MB/s. Writes under AFP will be improved in the next FW for the NS4300N and NS2300N. SMB reads and writes will see no improvement. NAS products are limited by their SoCs and even the Thecus 5200 Pro with the 1.2 GHZ Celeron reads and writes (real world performance) at 40 to 45 MB/s. But this product cost 800 bones. Our next gen NAS will MORE than double in read performance and MORE than triple in write at the same price point (MSRP 499.00). :)

2. Send me a PM with your details so I can add you to the exchange list.

3. The manual has some info on loading Plug-Ins such as the DLNA Plug-In. Our website is about to see a major overhaul and once that is done, I will have tons of DLNA - Media Streaming content up. You can load the DLNA Plug-In using the Web Interface (PASM) or SmartNAVI. Is using SmartNAVI the Plug-In can be loaded under NAS Management. Once Plug-In is loaded, enable the Plug-In. At this point the service will be to scan the media in the Music, Pictures and Video Directories. Our new DLNA Plug-In I discussed earlier post is now available for download. One item I forgot to mention was that we fix a PS3 Divx issue as well.

Need anything else, let me know.

Thanks

offer to replace NS4300n noisy fan is open?

I bought 2 units of NS4300N last may 2008 (an expensive investment), but noted the noisy fan issue. this has been bothering me and the family, and my family does not want them in the house. (another problem is the extremely low speed of <1Mb read).

By reading SmallNetBuilder website, it appears that other entry level products such as D-Link, HP and NetGear don't have the disturbing fan issue.

I read this email thread about the offer to replace old units with the new fan control. Is this offer still open? It'll be very disappointing to give up using NS4300N due to this noise issue.

thanks.

promise Nas4300n - with the DT server\client wont download....?

I'll be very theankfull for any one who can help....

I bought this unit installed the drives...moved filles everything is cool with the speed in the netwprk but I've installed the bt plug from the cd that came with still everything great ...added files to the download list and here they are in the list... but they are not comming...no movement at all.... I checked ports....routes....any thing I could think about...

the program get the file info right for the file that I wish to download but then nothing happens? any file that I tried its all the same...
It says it's connected on the bootom of the the download table and still....
any one with an Idea...

m_net@arava.co.il

ns4300n dlna wma

99% of my entire music collection is .wma lossless but I cannot play any of them via the xbox 360, the music stutters badly. I have a few CD's that were ripped .mp3 and they play fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have this same problem is there a solution?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!