What's new

QoS sucks while uploading

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ryannathans

Regular Contributor
When another device on the network is uploading, I experience horrid latency issues (>2000ms on a ping). Router is RT-AC5300. I originally noticed the problem whilst gaming, besides being completely obvious whilst playing, I was kicked from gaming servers due to excessive ping. I can't even watch a youtube video when another device is uploading.

I've tried adaptive QoS, traditional QoS and bandwidth limiting. The only thing that "solves" the problem is bandwidth limiting upload to 0.6Mb which is really non-ideal. I'm on cable and my speeds vary a lot.

Offpeak 100Mb/s down, 2Mb/s up
Peak 12Mb/s down. 0.9Mb/s up (or worse)

For my test, I have a phone on WiFi uploading a file to Mega. It looks like web browsing in QoS statistics.

My PC is doing little more than "ping 8.8.8.8 /t". The attached screenshot is with adaptive QoS set to custom, with the order Gaming, Video, VoIP, Web, File Transfer, Others. Bandwidth setting is on automatic. The results are roughly identical unless I use the bandwidth limiting to limit the device to 0.6/0.7Mb/s. My current max upload speed is around 1.2Mb/s. I've tried all the Queue Discipline modes too.

Ideally I'd give uploads like this this lowest priority (but that doesn't seem to be helping at all?), at this point I'd probably just be happy giving my PC highest priority for everything (but that doesn't work either)

Layout: Internet <-> Cable Modem <-> RT-AC5300 <-> All devices

687474703a2f2f7777772e7370656564746573742e6e65742f726573756c742f353831353534343830382e706e67

8fd06d18-b040-11e6-9b5b-040f8f860d46.png

tldr: Everything is laggy or unusable when another device on the network is uploading anything

As you didn't yet isolate the cause of the problem (connection from ISP or router/modem), it would be best to test with another router. That your bandwidth varies 90%!! between peak and off peak hours could indicate an ISP problem.

You should also know that download speed and upload speed are very closely connected. When you run out of your meager upload bandwidth, download will stall as requests for download packages cannot be send or are delayed.

As wocram indicates, download and upload performance are not independent of each other.

Your only real solution is to get your ISP (or choose another ISP, if you can) to give you a more symmetrical connection, or at least better upload capacity than 2Mbps. In your case, a 50/10 connection is more useful than your 100/2 that you currently have.

Keep in mind also that most consumer (home) ISP contracts state 'up to speeds', with no guarantee of what they need to actually deliver on a consistent basis to your home. If you can get a business line to your home (if the costs are warranted, of course) at even 30/10 Mbps speeds, you'll still be far better off than where you are now. Because, for a business line, those speeds should be 'guaranteed' minimums.

Your only real solution is to get your ISP (or choose another ISP, if you can) to give you a more symmetrical connection, or at least better upload capacity than 2Mbps. In your case, a 50/10 connection is more useful than your 100/2 that you currently have.

100/2 seems like a really weird rate actually - what happens if QoS is disabled - what rates are observed there?

What is the rate commitment promised by the ISP?

Rang Optus, nothing can be done to increase upload speed past 2Mb/s.
To me your ISP seem like kind of a scam. Most people stare blindly at high download bandwidth thinking they never upload anything and pay accordingly for the offered download bandwidth..
When there is an option to change ISP, I would surely consider it.

A normal (decent) asymmetric connection rate would be 100%/10%, so in your case 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up. When your ISP cannot deliver that they probably have a structural problem.

Last edited:
The plan I'm on is 100/2, it's the best that is on offer. They don't seem to offer any plan with higher upload speeds. I often find that my download speed is crippled by low upload speeds.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/plans?bt=HSD&tl=LAT
The fact that you say that at peak times you're only getting "12Mb/s down and 0.9Mb/s up (or worse)" reinforces the theory that your ISP just can't deliver a usable service.

I had a quick look at their web site. It appears that you could get a business plan with 100 down and 40 up for the same price. That might be worth investigating. At least with a business contract you are usually in a stronger position to demand that they provide the service that you are paying for.

I concur with everyone here. An ISP that thinks that 100/2 is a proper ratio needs to go back to networking 101. Just the ACK packets from your download would eat through a large portion of those 2 Mbps. Basically, your Internet service can either upload or download, but not do both at the same time.

I concur with everyone here. An ISP that thinks that 100/2 is a proper ratio needs to go back to networking 101. Just the ACK packets from your download would eat through a large portion of those 2 Mbps. Basically, your Internet service can either upload or download, but not do both at the same time.

OP is in the AU - Optus...

Check with the Whirlpool folks, and @pete y testing is a good source there...

yes unfortunately the cable companies here in oz seem to think its fine to provide such low upload rates , the upside though is most of australia is moving to some form of broadband connection with fiber of some form in the next year or so , cable will be moved to whats called HFC

FWIW - in NA, like AU, we have dense urban areas where there is good broadband, and we also share the "big empty" - in the US, many consider this "flyover country", and in CA, it's the Prairies... big countries, lot's of empty space, but folks still live out there...

Sad to say however, even in the suburban areas here in the US - it can be tough to get broadband...

Sad to say however, even in the suburban areas here in the US - it can be tough to get broadband...

yes so we have plenty of supply in most areas now with fiber and cable covering most of the cities and whats called fixed wireless covering most of the rural towns and outskirts the rest of the outback gets braodband satellite