What's new

R7800 and iOS compatible OpenVPN when?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's what I was thinking too, maybe a region wise roll-out.

Last edited:
The FW release is currently regional (sorry) and NA version is coming soon...hope to have NA within the next few weeks (or earlier)...

Thanks for the update and clearing this up. 1.0.0.28 is certainly working well for me in the UK, so hopefully a NA release won't be far away.

Thanks for the update and clearing this up. 1.0.0.28 is certainly working well for me in the UK, so hopefully a NA release won't be far away.
I'm still having the issues with iPad and iPhone not getting a IP as before when you reboot them quickly, you still cannot add a space between names in address reservation, and also I noticed the GUI shows password as 'none' for guest network in the standard log in screen even though it does have one. I also did a hard reset after updating and re applied all settings manually as I usually do. :(

I hope you mean V1.0.1.28 which is now the latest, V1.0.0.28 is the very first release showing on the download sections ;)

I hope you mean V1.0.1.28 which is now the latest, V1.0.0.28 is the very first release showing on the download sections ;)
Lol. Yep. My typo. Its obviously 1.0.1.28!

@Killhippie I'm definitely no longer seeing the iOS or OSX connectivity issues I was seeing previously (I didn't even factory reset after the update either). My iOS (9.3.1) devices connect quickly and first time to the 5GHz band (no failures, and I'm no longer presented with the occasional with the enter passphrase dialog which would also fail) and I'm also no longer seeing an issue where my Macbook refused to connected back to 5GHz if disconnected without toggling wifi.
What is odd about this is that the release notes had no mention of wifi improvements or QCA driver updates.
I've fed this back to the support contact I've been working with at Netgear, so we'll see. I gather this issue appears to affect some folk and not others which probably makes it harder to diagnose the root cause. Have you been in touch with Netgear support about the issue yourself?

Too many numbers to remember...

Good to hear issues have been fixed...have pushed out to engineering and waiting for their comments. They're Taiwan based, so 8 hours ahead of UK...

Will post their comments as soon as I hear from them...

The firmware is available on the support site now. It seems, though not mentioned in the changelog, that IPv6RD protocol support was also added which is useful for us CenturyLink users on transparent bridging.

This is good to hear. I had to return the r7800 due to connectivity issues with my Macbook Pro but if it is fixed in the new firmware I will give it a try again. I really liked the router otherwise, great speed and range with my other devices. Interestingly I did not have an issue with my iOS devices, just with the Mac.

This is good to hear. I had to return the r7800 due to connectivity issues with my Macbook Pro but if it is fixed in the new firmware I will give it a try again. I really liked the router otherwise, great speed and range with my other devices. Interestingly I did not have an issue with my iOS devices, just with the Mac.
What iOS devices did you have? It seems like its possible some but not all devices are effected and its only a minor bug but still annoying, later ones seem so far to be the problematic ones but more information would always help. I have an iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s which both join the network fine, but if you do a soft reset on them because they reboots quickly they don't pick up their IP address from DHCP until you put them to sleep sleep and are wake them again. Every other device works fine. :) Great update though so far.

Lol. Yep. My typo. Its obviously 1.0.1.28!

@Killhippie I'm definitely no longer seeing the iOS or OSX connectivity issues I was seeing previously (I didn't even factory reset after the update either). My iOS (9.3.1) devices connect quickly and first time to the 5GHz band (no failures, and I'm no longer presented with the occasional with the enter passphrase dialog which would also fail) and I'm also no longer seeing an issue where my Macbook refused to connected back to 5GHz if disconnected without toggling wifi.
What is odd about this is that the release notes had no mention of wifi improvements or QCA driver updates.
I've fed this back to the support contact I've been working with at Netgear, so we'll see. I gather this issue appears to affect some folk and not others which probably makes it harder to diagnose the root cause. Have you been in touch with Netgear support about the issue yourself?
Yes I'm currently in contact, the devices connect first time after a firmware update but if I turn the iPad Air 2 off, then back on say straight away it won't connect until I put it into sleep mode and then press the home button, in the logs it shows multiple attempts at getting an IP from DHCP same with the iPhone 6s still.

All other devices behave fine apart from my PS4 which says the router does not support IP fragmentation, it takes an age deciding what nat I'm using (unsure about IPV6 as that's rolling out with my ISP and I'm following a post on the Netgear forum where a user of the R7800 has been told there is no IPV6 firewall in this router which sounds alarming) Apart form that quirk things are running great with the new update. (just tested it with my iPhone 6s and still the same issue with iOS 9.3.1 I wonder if its hardware issues and there was a faulty batch of R7800's? Its odd though yours did have that issue and now does not yet mine still does.

Do you use Address reservation with your R7800 and iOS devices? I'm wondering if that's part of the issue, now? When you turn off your iPhone or iPad does it pick up the same IP as before or is it picking up a new one each time it logs back on? Just trying to see if as I mentioned address reservation is causing this issue.

Last edited:
I had problems with most all my wireless OS and iOS devices conecting if I manually set up IP addresses on my R7000. (and still due thou now I am on DD-WRT). Anything wired I have no issues with.

I had problems with most all my wireless OS and iOS devices conecting if I manually set up IP addresses on my R7000. (and still due thou now I am on DD-WRT). Anything wired I have no issues with.
Never had any issues with R7000 stock firmware and address reservation, its an odd world with routers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!