What's new

Really dumb question, wireless throughput

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JHo1

New Around Here
Hi,
please excuse a really dumb question. I have just switched from ADSL to FTTC and in doing so replaced my Billion 7800N with an Asus RT-AC66U. I'd been having a few issues with the Billion so took the opportunity to switch to a new router.

Question - even standing over the Billion my Nexus 4 phone (Wireless n) would report a "Link speed" of 54 Mbps. I could get a Nexus 7 to report 72Mbps occasionally. I didn't follow up on this because I was about to replace the router. Now I have replaced the Billion with an Asus my Nexus 4 still reports 54Mbps at 2.4GHz, 72Mbps if I switch to 5GHz.

All of my devices are wireless n and I have the router set to "n" mode. Is this normal or should I expect / get a faster connection?

TBH it's not really important, it's just bugging me a little.

Thanks,
John

What do your other devices report? If I were to take a wild guess, that is simply the link rate that the Nexus 4 is establishing on 2.4GHz.

Cell phones especially often have really crappy wifi chipsets in them.

10/10

Thanks azaz, you nailed it. I poked around inside my Win 8 laptop and found where the connection speed is reported and it's showing as 140+Mbps.

I hadn't checked the speed on other devices as I couldn't immediately see it in Win8 and I doubt a Kindle or a printer will tell me (but I'm checking right now!).

Thanks,
John