What's new

[Release 380] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.69 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Running an AC68U on 380.69. Problem upgrading to this new version.

I verified the download via a SHA-256 calculator. After clicking upload to start the upgrade process, the message "Please wait, Applying Settings ..." appears and doesn't change from that point. The router still works so now I'll try to power cycle to see if I can get the GUI working again.

Posting this before I do that.

*** UPDATE ***
After cycling the power on the router I can get back into the GUI. The version didn't change from 380.69.

I had tried the upgrade while I was connected over wireless, something I've done with my prior RT-N66U and John's fork thru numerous upgrades and never had an issue.

I connected an Ethernet cable to the AC68U and tried the upload to the router again and this time everything worked as expected. Router upgraded to 380.69_2.

So, maybe I need to always be hardwired when upgrading the AC68U. Just passing on my experience.

Last edited:
Flashed 380.69_2 without an issue.

I verified the download via a SHA-256 calculator. After clicking upload to start the upgrade process, the message "Please wait, Applying Settings ..." appears and doesn't change from that point. The router still works so now I'll try to power cycle to see if I can get the GUI working again.

It was in "Please wait, Applying Settings ..." for a while. I was patient and the update went smoothly afterwards.

Flashed 380.69_2 without an issue.

It was in "Please wait, Applying Settings ..." for a while. I was patient and the update went smoothly afterwards.
Flashed from 380.69_0 to 380.69_2 without problem. "Please wait, Applying Settings ..."-phase didn't take any longer than usually.

I removed my usb sticks and rebooted the router before upgrading (using ethernet connection, not wireless). I used Edge browser.

Was running a AC68U on 380.68_2. Upgraded to 380.69_2 over wifi with out a problem. It took roughly 4 minutes from when I clicked "Upload" to when the gui auto refreshed with the new firmware completely installed.

*** UPDATE ***
After cycling the power on the router I can get back into the GUI. The version didn't change from 380.69.

I had tried the upgrade while I was connected over wireless, something I've done with my prior RT-N66U and John's fork thru numerous upgrades and never had an issue.

I connected an Ethernet cable to the AC68U and tried the upload to the router again and this time everything worked as expected. Router upgraded to 380.69_2.

So, maybe I need to always be hardwired when upgrading the AC68U. Just passing on my experience.
Often indicates that RAM usage is too high for update to complete. Usually removing USB drives (if present) and rebooting router will allow update to complete without issue.

Interesting info. Ran speedtests before updating and logged, updated from 380.69_0 to 380.69_2 and speeds dropped quite a bit immediately. (like 240 from 300+ over 5g wireless) After a while randomly testing with same results downgraded back to 380.69_0 and speeds came back to where they were. Next morning tried same test and speeds up before and dropped again after upgrade. This time I hard rebooted the router by pulling power. Seems that got the speeds back up. So it appears that perhaps a hard reboot should be performed after this update (soft reboot no change). Otherwise no issue actually performing the update. All worked as expected. Thanks @RMerlin for keeping this code base more secure for this older model :)

BTW, Asus tells me that RT-AC3200 that have the upgraded bootloader with 128KB nvram are no longer compatible with 64-KB enabled firmware (such as 380.xx series). People who have upgraded their RT-AC3200 to any of the 382 or 384 builds will now have to stick with 382/384 builds.

Is there a way to install updates via SSH? Being hard wired through another switch was not ok. I had to directly hard wire to the router before the upgrade would install.

AC66U: OpenVPN Clients page is broken on 380.69_2!
Apply button is unpressable, Client on/off switch gets stuck on "Applying settings" without showing any progress. Pressing F5 returns to the page.

Tried in FF and IE11 - same in both, also cleaned cache etc.
Rolled back to 380.69_0 and all these things work again!

AC87U works quite well with the 380.69_2 firmware. Now the 5GHz channel doesn't change randomly anymore. Previous firmware version was unable to hold the 5GHz channel. It always changed after few minutes or hours even though it was set manually to certain channel.

Now the 5GHz channel doesn't change randomly anymore. Previous firmware version was unable to hold the 5GHz channel. It always changed after few minutes or hours even though it was set manually to certain channel.

There's been zero changes to wifi in this release...

There's been zero changes to wifi in this release...
That's interesting. Anyway now it works, and that's the most important part. I do wonder why it didn't work earlier. There was zero changes also in my router configuration.

going to factory reset and reflash again on my ac5300 im having 5g keep disabling itself now. was fine before this flash i assume it is probably is an issue with the flash.

Thanks merlin for the security updates to the 380 code base. It’s giving us time to focus on deploying ipv6.

That's interesting. Anyway now it works, and that's the most important part. I do wonder why it didn't work earlier. There was zero changes also in my router configuration.

A reboot often does wonders. I suspect that most people who report wifi issues being resolved following a firmware upgrade would get the same result if they just rebooted the router.

going to factory reset and reflash again on my ac5300 im having 5g keep disabling itself now. was fine before this flash i assume it is probably is an issue with the flash.

Reflashing a firmware doesn't do anything, you are simply rewriting the exact code into flash.

must have been the resets then, it seems to be okay now. but i reset before and after reflashing and all is working

I have a RT-N66U that was running on 380.69 without a problem.

After upgrading to 380.69_2, when I try to start up OpenVPN Client 1 (VPN, VPN Client, instance Client1) via the ON/OFF slider button, all I get is the "Applying Settings" going around and around forever, and the VPN client is never started.

I opened another browser tab to look at the router log and there aren't any log messages related to the OpenVPN client. No error messages whatsoever.

I downgraded to 380.69 and everything worked fine. Upgraded again to 380.69_2 and the same problem occurred.

Looking at /jffs/openvpn, all the certs are there...

Something is not right here...

I'm using Chrome 64, but Firefox 58 has same results...

By the way, I just tried starting the VPN Client1 via command line and it came up just fine... So, there is something wrong here...

Thank you...

I have a RT-N66U that was running on 380.69 without a problem.

After upgrading to 380.69_2, when I try to start up OpenVPN Client 1 (VPN, VPN Client, instance Client1) via the ON/OFF slider button, all I get is the "Applying Settings" going around and around forever, and the VPN client is never started.

I opened another browser tab to look at the router log and there aren't any log messages related to the OpenVPN client. No error messages whatsoever.

I downgraded to 380.69 and everything worked fine. Upgraded again to 380.69_2 and the same problem occurred.

Looking at /jffs/openvpn, all the certs are there...

Something is not right here...

I'm using Chrome 64, but Firefox 58 has same results...

By the way, I just tried starting the VPN Client1 via command line and it came up just fine... So, there is something wrong here...

Thank you...

Did you try a factory reset, and re-config from scratch?

@RMerlin, hey there chief :)
First and foremost thank you once again for all you efforts! Switching however into pester mode: I've gone through the 382.1 thread and saw AiProt signature were already brought up broken and fix.... however this is how it looks for me in the 380.69_2:

Product ID RT-AC87U
Signature Version 1.202 Updated : 2018/01/21 02:00 Signature update failed
Firmware Version 380.69_2

as for JFFS
###@router:/jffs/signature# ll
-rw-rw-rw- 1 ### root 351438 Jan 19 06:12 rule.trf

renaming the file for a forced update didn't help :(

And the funniest:
###@router:/tmp/home/root# ll /tmp/sig*
-rw-rw-rw- 1 ###root 70 Feb 4 10:34 /tmp/sig_upgrade.log
###@router:/tmp/home/root# cat /tmp/sig_upgrade.log
---- sig update real normal----
---- 1205 ---
---- sig_ver: 1205 ----

UI still shows fail and stuck at 1.202

@ankhazam , I think it's server-side issue. I have DSL-AC68U which also fails to update signature for a few days now. It's running stock firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!