What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.66 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Upgraded to 380.66_2 on my RT-AC66U last night. This morning I rebooted it having some Xbox One issues and now my 5G will not come back up. (Says Channel 0, tried manual channel no luck). Doesn't show up to any devices. Tried going back to 380.64, Tried factory reset, Rebooting etc etc.. No luck. 5G appears to have been killed for me by 380.66_2 :*(

Try factory reset by holding the reset button for a while. Also I'm a firm believer of doing firmware updates/downgrades using the Asus recovery tool, it's just gives me better results

For me it's the same on 2.4GHz on my RT-AC87U. The router reports the network should be up but no device can see it. Tried using a wi-spy to measure activity from the router, just nothing.

Try factory reset by holding the reset button for a while. Also I'm a firm believer of doing firmware updates/downgrades using the Asus recovery tool, it's just gives me better results

For me it's the same on 2.4GHz on my RT-AC87U. The router reports the network should be up but no device can see it. Tried using a wi-spy to measure activity from the router, just nothing.

Yep that did the trick, thank you sir! I was doing the factory reset via the UI and it didn't help. Reset button and viola! 20 reboots later I have 5g again lol.

I don't have QoS enabled nor did I make any changes to it.

It's possible that the application does a "blanket" restart, restarting the same list of services whenever "something" is changed. Similar to how the webui will restart multiple services on some pages even if you didn't change settings related to all of the restarted services.

i got info in syslog for new firmware? first time i saw this info.....
Code:
May 17 20:19:21 watchdog: New firmware version 380.66_2 is available.

Yes, that was added a few months ago, possibly the first or second release after the initial update server was implemented. The automated check runs every 48 hours by default (if my memory's right).

A few odd issues can be resolved by doing a complete power cycle of the router, i.e. turning it off, then back on. I suspect it's caused by some of the internal components not being fully initialized by the firmware at (re)boot time.

Just upgraded to 380.66_2 on my RT-AC68U WHITE (no factory reset) through the web UI, did the power cycle as suggested in the post above, even left it unplugged for a while, after I manually rebooted when the upgrade succesfully finished and left it running for a couple of minutes until I was sure the load dropped, but I noticed that the yellow exclamation mark is still blinking at the main page, suggesting there's an update available. Is there any way (a terminal command or a file somewhere) I can check I'm actually running 380.66_2?

what does it show on the main page at the stop for the firmware version?

Also what does it show when you go to the administration Tab then click on firmware update

below you should see Firmware version next to the check button?

Now I'm seeing a warning message on the administration - firmware upgrade tab that says I have jffs enabled but on the system tab I have it turned off because I've never enabled it. I also just completed the upgrade to 380.66_2 but it didn't make a difference.

A few odd issues can be resolved by doing a complete power cycle of the router, i.e. turning it off, then back on. I suspect it's caused by some of the internal components not being fully initialized by the firmware at (re)boot time.

I've tried doing that without success. 2.4GHz managed to pop up for a while, but as soon as I tried to connect it decided to die again after a complete flash/factory reset/off/on etc. thing.
I've left my other RT-AC87U off for a couple of hours and decided to try that one once more: I turned it on fresh in recovery, flashed it, and send the configuration from my other router which didn't want to work with 2.4GHz and boom, it worked.
I guess you just need to leave the router off for a long time instead of a minute or so.

And please, I know this is not something you can fix Merlin, but how is an above average consumer with a bit of know how supposed to upgrade firmware on these things, the hardware just works so randomly.
Even for me it's incredibly frustrating, testing every step where it went wrong with the wifi, including unplugging my powerline adapter for my second router etc. etc.
I was close to ditching the routers wifi and just hook up some ubiquiti AP's or something.

Glad it's working again anyway, thanks Merlin

I think its that specific model which has the most random issues I've seen on this site.

Ok then I just never paid attention to it before.:p

JFFS cannot be disabled anymore, since the firmware needs it.

The setting you were thinking of is for JFFS scripts support, not for the JFFS partition itself.

what does it show on the main page at the stop for the firmware version?

Also what does it show when you go to the administration Tab then click on firmware update

below you should see Firmware version next to the check button?

As mentioned, it shows 380.66 on the main page, and it does say the same on the Administration Tab. When manually checking for new firmware it says 380.66_2 is available for download, even though 380.66_2 was uploaded 100%, router was rebooted manually as instructed and I did the power cycle RMerlin suggested previously to solve some odd issues.

Strangely enough (at least, to me) the signature check on the Administration Tab > Firmware Upgrade is updated:

Code:
1.162  Updated : 2017/05/17 22:27

The timestamp (Central European Standard Time) is from when I installed the update.

My workaround for this ... Go to Tool-Others Settings... disable "New firmware version check"(if you are already on 66_2), reboot , and re-enable "Firmware check"

Just tried that, but within a minute or so after re-enabling the firmware check, the exclamation mark on the main page starts flashing again that there's new firmware available.

@RMerlin: What should I do? Update it again, or is this a tiny bug and should I wait for a fix?

There has been absolutely no change to the code dealing with the firewall between beta5 and the final release. Changes are related to OpenVPN and the webui.

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~/asuswrt$ git log --oneline 380.66-beta5..380.66
ed7f741 Bumped revision to 380.66 final
12d74e3 Updated documentation
5b54c8f Revert "webui: reapply the fix from commit 2a7e9d8877ba1dbe1964dcfa0d4c60bc72f3d6a7, lost in the GPL 4180 merge"
84a5421 webui: Merge our auto-fill prevention changes to the RT-AC5300 Wireless page
fcbc4b3 openvpn: Updated to 2.4.2
8b927d2 shared: Ensure that get_parsed_crt() always initializes the buffer even if there is no CA file to read, otherwise the previous content of that buffer might be used
1fb5a4a openvpn: prevent potential out-of-bound buffer access on key/certs
4c8a303 webui: IE 11 doesn't support default JS function parameters, so ensure we always provide the def parameter on validator.rangeFloat()
bd8a177 Merge pull request #1350 from Jemgoss/patch-1
0d9d76d Line 277, replace var j with var k and its references.
0e15da3 webui: strip unnecessary semi-column from OpenVPN client page
fc4f4a7 network: fix variable name on brsnoop lookup; also allow re-enabling it if it was disabled

When I get time I will upgrade again, reset to defaults and manually re-configure to see if this cures the problem. All I can say is I have a number of port forwards to different devices and all stopped working on this release but sparked back into life instantly upon reverting (without changing the config) to beta 5. Thanks though for the change confirmation and your hard work!

Hello! Only I do not have two Open VPN Server? Asus RT-AC87U, 380.66

1.jpg 2.JPG

JFFS cannot be disabled anymore, since the firmware needs it.

The setting you were thinking of is for JFFS scripts support, not for the JFFS partition itself.
Okay and thanks for clarifying that for me.

What should I do? Update it again, or is this a tiny bug and should I wait for a fix?

Reflash. If it says 380.66, then it means the upgrade never succeeded.

Reflash. If it says 380.66, then it means the upgrade never succeeded.
Okay, will do. Strange, as it did upload to 100% and finalized the upload with the message it succeeded and the router had to be rebooted manually... Nevertheless, keep up to good work! Love it, haven't missed dd-wrt on my Netgears for a second :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!