What's new

[Release] FreshJR Adaptive QOS (Improvements / Custom Rules / and Inner workings)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
look goods. should be working as expected
I believe it is as I am seeing a steady increase in Video and Audio Streaming category while two tvs are streaming. Do those changes populate down to the new feature Merlin implemented (tracked connections?). I ask because it shows items coming from those addresses as web surfing and file transferring.

I believe it is as I am seeing a steady increase in Video and Audio Streaming category while two tvs are streaming. Do those changes populate down to the new feature Merlin implemented (tracked connections?). I ask because it shows items coming from those addresses as web surfing and file transferring.

No. The tracked connections shows the original destination.... this was mentioned in first post already.....

Next release will bring a modified version of that page. Am waiting after official v384.9 drops before finalizing anything.

No. The tracked connections shows the original destination.... this was mentioned in first post already.....

Next release will bring a modified version of that page. Am waiting after official v384.9 drops before finalizing anything.
Great, thanks for your hardwork, help and patience!

@FreshJR, will instructions be updated for those using VPN and new Merlin 384.9 FW, when the script is released? Thanks for all you do!!!! It's greatly appreciated.

@FreshJR I’m using a Synology NAS to record a remote RTSP streaming from one of my cams. I noticed that kind of traffic is uncategorized. I think should be at least into the downloads group.

May have found an issue with the FreshJR QOS Classification "QOS_Stats.asp" webpage, as it displays properly on my current AC3100 with Merlin V384.9 Final, but I am upgrading to an RT-AX88U with Merlin V384.9 Final, and this is what the FreshJR QOS Classification page looks like on it:

Download:
upload_2019-2-5_14-40-29.png

Upload:

upload_2019-2-5_14-41-43.png

My Traffic Classification order is the following:

upload_2019-2-5_14-45-16.png

Any ideas FreshJR?

Hello FreshJR, I have just started using the VPN client and with FreshJR Qos add-on and my download speed is cut in half compared to when I just disable Adaptive QOS.

I read on page 78 about the custom configuration one should do to fix this problem but me being a novice I'm having a hard time choosing the TUN IP address and prefix to use. I believe the ip range of my tunneled device is: 10.2.2.0/24 . However I'm really not sure.

I attached some screen shots so you could take a look at them when you have some time and please let me know if that is correct or not.

Also how do I find the --dport of my VPN provider?

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 331
Hello FreshJR, I have just started using the VPN client and with FreshJR Qos add-on and my download speed is cut in half compared to when I just disable Adaptive QOS.

I read on page 78 about the custom configuration one should do to fix this problem but me being a novice I'm having a hard time choosing the TUN IP address and prefix to use. I believe the ip range of my tunneled device is: 10.2.2.0/24 . However I'm really not sure.

I attached some screen shots so you could take a look at them when you have some time and please let me know if that is correct or not.

Also how do I find the --dport of my VPN provider?

Thanks,
David

What is your download speed?
The VPN download fix is enabled by default on newer RMerlin firmwares.
The VPN upload fix will be enabled by default on next release of the script.

Your VPN download speed should be getting limited to QoS limits (up to a point where you run out of processing power).

What is your download speed?
The VPN download fix is enabled by default on newer RMerlin firmwares.
The VPN upload fix will be enabled by default on next release of the script.

Your VPN download speed should be getting limited to QoS limits (up to a point where you run out of processing power).

My download speed without any QOS enabled is 25, with FreshJR and adaptive QOS setup the way you listed I get a download speed of 10.

My download speed without any QOS enabled is 25, with FreshJR and adaptive QOS setup the way you listed I get a download speed of 10.

Try with these two fixes (no parameters require user configuration).

Code:
            iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 &> /dev/null            #VPN Fix -        (Fixes download traffic showing up in upload section when router is acting as a VPN Client)
            iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000

iptables -D OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p udp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up} &> /dev/null                    #VPN Fix -        (Fixes upload traffic not detected when the router is acting as a VPN Client)
            iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p udp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up}

Try with these two fixes (no parameters require user configuration).

Code:
            iptables -D POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000 &> /dev/null            #VPN Fix -        (Fixes download traffic showing up in upload section when router is acting as a VPN Client)
            iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o br0 -m mark --mark 0x40000000/0xc0000000 -j MARK --set-xmark 0x80000000/0xC0000000

iptables -D OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p udp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up} &> /dev/null                    #VPN Fix -        (Fixes upload traffic not detected when the router is acting as a VPN Client)
            iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -o $wan -p udp -m multiport ! --dports 53,123 -j MARK --set-mark ${Downloads_mark_up}

thank you, I'll try them now.

I was able to type all the code in except the last line which gave me an error. I put the error image in the thumbnail.

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 306
How does this script check and install any updates, if there are any?
Based on reading the first few pages of this thread, you basically have to run the install in terminal every so often, then go into the router and disable and re-enable QoS (perhaps with a reboot in between) to update the script...but you have to follow along on this thread for when @FreshJR says he's tweaked/fixed something, and it seems the big things coincide with Merlin updates.
I'd appreciate a coloured/bolded update line in the first post on page 1 giving us a head's up that something has changed, like @thelonelycoder does in his amtm and diversion threads.

Anyone here has a RT-AC86U router using FreshJr script also has WTF game mode enabled? What are your recommendations?

Which QOS bucket does T-Mobile wifi calling fall into? I just switched to T-Mobile and my wifi calls are garbled. ATT wifi calling worked perfectly and I'm wondering if it's the router (AC-3100) or my QoS?

Any suggestions for tweaking it?

Edit: I also wanted to add that FaceTime and Ooma are working fine. I also ran the bufferbloat test and still received an A using the Fresh JR QoS.

Last edited:
Which QOS bucket does T-Mobile wifi calling fall into? I just switched to T-Mobile and my wifi calls are garbled. ATT wifi calling worked perfectly and I'm wondering if it's the router (AC-3100) or my QoS?

Any suggestions for tweaking it?

Edit: I also wanted to add that FaceTime and Ooma are working fine. I also ran the bufferbloat test and still received an A using the Fresh JR QoS.

My recollection from tests were that they went into VOIP as expected/hoped (I am on T-Mobile as well). However, I did have to disable SIP Passthrough on the WAN -> NAT Passthrough page to get good quality with it (when that was enabled, everything was like a bad Skype call).

My recollection from tests were that they went into VOIP as expected/hoped (I am on T-Mobile as well). However, I did have to disable SIP Passthrough on the WAN -> NAT Passthrough page to get good quality with it (when that was enabled, everything was like a bad Skype call).

Perfect description in "a bad Skype call." Thanks for the tip on the SIP Passthrough. I didn't even think of that. I just wonder if the SIP settings in these home routers have ever helped anything work better :). I disabled the SIP passthrough and have had at least one good call so far. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.