What's new

remote access to home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freebil

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I want to access my home network remotely.

1) Which is more secure? To access it with ddns and port forwarding or with vpn?
2) If I want to access it with vpn, which is the best solution, access it with asus router vpn server or nas vpn server?

Thanks.

I would suggest you using the OpenVPN server that comes with the router, download the openVPN client on the device where you are going to use to connect to your network and install the certificate that you exported from the router.
On the OpenVPN server configuration ensure the "push LAN to clients" to be enabled, if not because there're different networks you won't see your home network.

I do both - I have an L2TP VPN server inside my home LAN, along with an SSH host, and both are port forwarded to the public internet, and I'm using DynDNS (paid) for hostname resolution...

Note that none of this is actually running on my Router, not even the DynDNS client, that's running on the SSH Linux box...