What's new

Request for Outdoor Cable + Tools Recommendations - ANYONE?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

silekonn

Occasional Visitor
I am seeking outdoor rated cable to replace some runs to old POE Ubiquiti point to points. I am new to outdoor cable. I purchased a decent (see: sub-$100) multimeter and have the standard crimpers and boots for CAT5e cable in use for the last two decades.

Can anyone recommend a spool of high quality outdoor rated cable for a PoE application? Complimenting connectors? Quality before cost (within reason). I heard Shireen and Excel are good.

I understand shielding, difficult to install, allows a greater variety of projects. Work is completed for factories that use industrial machinery and an all-in-one would be a big plus unless is /greatly/ inreases difficulty or time invested. Initially it will feed some Loco M5s and later might cover 10GBps or other projects.

Side notes: Category 6A appears to be a better option for future-proofing. A white jacket is a desirable (not a deal-breaker). Boots (Beet? : ) and crimpers would be helpful. It appears a good coax-style wire stripper (for lack of a term, the strippers that twist around the sheath only) and some pliers are now needed. Any tools ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would recommend a pre-terminated cable if you're looking for cat 6a. I know the termination of those cables requires much more precision than cat5e to get completely within spec and especially if you're looking to run 10G on this later.

As far as particular cable, I don't have any recommendations as I've not used any outdoor rated cable. I know these are usually filled with a gel to keep water out of the cable and the jacket is usually more robust.

I am seeking outdoor rated cable to replace some runs to old POE Ubiquiti point to points. I am new to outdoor cable. I purchased a decent (see: sub-$100) multimeter and have the standard crimpers and boots for CAT5e cable in use for the last two decades.

Can anyone recommend a spool of high quality outdoor rated cable for a PoE application? Complimenting connectors? Quality before cost (within reason). I heard Shireen and Excel are good.

I understand shielding, difficult to install, allows a greater variety of projects. Work is completed for factories that use industrial machinery and an all-in-one would be a big plus unless is /greatly/ inreases difficulty or time invested. Initially it will feed some Loco M5s and later might cover 10GBps or other projects.

Side notes: Category 6A appears to be a better option for future-proofing. A white jacket is a desirable (not a deal-breaker). Boots (Beet? : ) and crimpers would be helpful. It appears a good coax-style wire stripper (for lack of a term, the strippers that twist around the sheath only) and some pliers are now needed. Any tools ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
How far do you have to go ? That and the device will determine the injector power needed.
If it is two separate buildings, then consider using fiber instead unless you have no power on the other end. IF the buildings have their own separate electrical panel ground, fiber or POE will be a must due to ground loop potentials across the cable.

This was definitely responded to the day you answered. Sorry for the delay. It is the same building, a long farm shed/storage building. It may approach the limits of an optimal cable run. I will be there tomorrow to measure. The cable is not mounted correctly, it runs the length of the building in a half-conduit (so I am told). Fortunately it is sheltered beyond an 18" stretch to the Loco M5 and shed opposite.
Shireen gel-taped shielded CAT6 cable is lined up. Only the best CCA. It hasn't shipped. The CAT6 is expensive and may be a waste. I would prefer to do it right once.
The current predicament is which tools to use. A distributor was recommending Platinum Tools up and down. Any feelings on termination tools (crimpers, shielded cable strippers, lineman's scissors, extra long pliers)? I want some of the best without entering something akin to Fluke territory.
I read that copper tape is best. I selected some by Kraftex and another, Tapes Master, not knowing my options. They both have good ratings. One is chiefly for guitars.
Thanks in advance for any assistance offered. I will respond quickly to any input. Some professional opinions would be valued.

This was definitely responded to the day you answered. Sorry for the delay. It is the same building, a long farm shed/storage building. It may approach the limits of an optimal cable run. I will be there tomorrow to measure. The cable is not mounted correctly, it runs the length of the building in a half-conduit (so I am told). Fortunately it is sheltered beyond an 18" stretch to the Loco M5 and shed opposite.
Shireen gel-taped shielded CAT6 cable is lined up. Only the best CCA. It hasn't shipped. The CAT6 is expensive and may be a waste. I would prefer to do it right once.
The current predicament is which tools to use. A distributor was recommending Platinum Tools up and down. Any feelings on termination tools (crimpers, shielded cable strippers, lineman's scissors, extra long pliers)? I want some of the best without entering something akin to Fluke territory.
I read that copper tape is best. I selected some by Kraftex and another, Tapes Master, not knowing my options. They both have good ratings. One is chiefly for guitars.
Thanks in advance for any assistance offered. I will respond quickly to any input. Some professional opinions would be valued.
++++ for Platinum tools.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!