What's new

"Resolve IPs on connection list" doesn't resolve all clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FMZ

New Around Here
Hello,

I have an RT-N66U, latest stable version of Merlin firmware, just updated last night, and I factory reset it and re-configured at that time. I'm using it in AP mode. I run my own DHCP and DNS servers (dnsmasq) on the local network at 192.168.0.1.

I have "Resolve IPs on active connections list" enabled. Not all hosts are being resolved. This is my current list of clients, with notes:

IP | Hostname reported | MAC | Host is seen on
----------------------------------------------------------------------
192.168.0.1 | TIFERET | VV:VV:31:04:VV:VV | WAN side
192.168.0.51 | WW:WW:55:32:WW:WW | WW:WW:FA:15:WW:WW | LAN side
192.168.0.56 | XX:XX:55:32:XX:XX | XX:XX:55:32:XX:XX | WAN side
192.168.0.64 | DESKTOP | YY:YY:30:23:YY:YY | WAN side
192.168.0.71 | ZZ:ZZ:E1:5D:ZZ:ZZ | ZZ:ZZ:E1:5D:ZZ:ZZ | LAN side

I don't see any pattern--it's happening on both WAN and LAN side. The arp table on device shows the resolved hostnames as expected:

admin@RT-N66U-6F18:/tmp/home/root# arp
mydomain.com (192.168.0.1) at VV:VV:31:04:VV:VV [ether] on br0
webcam3-wired.mydomain.com (192.168.0.56) at XX:XX:55:32:XX:XX [ether] on br0
desktop.mydomain.com (192.168.0.64) at YY:YY:30:23:YY:YY [ether] on br0
webcam1-wireless.mydomain.com (192.168.0.51) at WW:WW:55:32:WW:WW [ether] on br0
lappy786-wireless.mydomain.com (192.168.0.71) at ZZ:ZZ:E1:5D:ZZ:ZZ [ether] on br0

Would you take a look? Thank you.

Fixed the title. It originally said "doesn't resolve LAN-side clients" but I noticed a WAN-side client wasn't resolving either while I wrote the post.

That a limitation of AP mode.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think RMerlin means 'that is a limitation of AP mode'.

How is this a limitation and not a bug? It resolves some of them, it doesn't resolve others, and there's no pattern to it. I could see it if it was, say, failing to resolve hosts just on the LAN side.

How is this a limitation and not a bug? It resolves some of them, it doesn't resolve others, and there's no pattern to it. I could see it if it was, say, failing to resolve hosts just on the LAN side.

It probably resolves those that broadcast a NETBIOS name, but can't resolve those that would require a local DHCP lease list, which is used for name resolution. Since the DHCP server isn't running on the AP but on the router, then it can't refer to the missing lease list to resolve these.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!