What's new

Router or Mac: lost connectivity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whsbuss

In the past few days I've had issues with my 5G wifi network. Using an Asus RT-AC68R that's 2 1/2 years old running Merlin's 380.59 fw. What's happening is when connected to my Macbook Pro I start to notice safari loading web pages slowly or taking many seconds to complete. If I look at the wifi (using option-click on the wifi icon) I see MCS Index of zero then one or two. If I disconnect then reconnect it seems to be Okay.

I'm not sure if the router is starting to die on 5G or maybe my Mac (4 1/2 years old) may be having wifi issues. Any suggestions on how I can diagnose to find out which is faulty?

How does it behave if you set the MB 1-2 meters away ?
How does your MB behave in other wireless systems ?

How does it behave if you set the MB 1-2 meters away ?
How does your MB behave in other wireless systems ?

Good questions. I see the same issue on 5G when only in the next room compared to being on the 1st floor more of the time (router on 2nd). I haven't had issues on other networks. In fact on the 2.4G network on the same router I have not noticed this

First thing I would do is reset the WiFi profiles in the Network settings on the Mac..

I'll give it a try. But I will have to turnoff keychains so its doesn't sync to my iPhone

Might have to....

I don't use the iCloud keychain stuff for this very reason... it's convenient, but there's other solutions that work similar...

Might have to....

I don't use the iCloud keychain stuff for this very reason... it's convenient, but there's other solutions that work similar...

Yeah but keychains works so well with encrypted passwords. Anyway I have reset both the 2.4 and 5G profiles (actually removed them and reapplied).

Yeah but keychains works so well with encrypted passwords. Anyway I have reset both the 2.4 and 5G profiles (actually removed them and reapplied).

I know - been there - what got me to give up on iCloud keychains was a travel event - and connecting wifi on the plane/airport/hotel, and that was all good until it broke my MacBook Air and iPad...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!