What's new

Router review suggestion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Review the Mikrotik RB750GR2

• Total voters

techworx

New Around Here
Hi, Just joined but have visited the site many times.

As a tech enthusiast / networking hobbyist I've seen a lot of talk regarding the performance of the Ubiquiti Edgemax Edge Router Lite router with it being referred to favourably for those wanting speed and configuration features as opposed to going down a pfSense route. Having looked at the router performance charts here on SNB it doesn't appear to achieve such good WAN to LAN and vs versa performance as some other better known consumer units.

I've since come across one of Mikrotiks models that is very reasonably priced and wondered how that would fair to the EdgeMax and others but as yet it has not been reviewed here.

It would be great therefore to see a review of the following please as its product page suggests good performance but it would be good to see how it fares using the similar testing that was carried out on the other routers in the SNB charts.

http://routerboard.com/RB750Gr2

First off, the ER-Lite review was somewhat of an anomaly, and per previous threads on this subject, Tim's made it abundantly clear that there's very little likelihood of this kind of stuff being showcased in the future.

It must be remembered that these types of products have been born and bred in a segment of the IT world that is not even close to targeting or caring about the consumer space at all. They only tend to get swallowed up in these circles due to their low price point, but come with plenty of caveats, usually surrounding lack of support and high technical skill requirements.

Perhaps more relevant, though, is the simple fact that you're much less apt to see the kind of routers and software coming from these makers that SNB prefers to focus on -- ie. all-in-ones sporting bleeding-edge wifi with point-and-click ease of use.

So while several of us bring up this kind of gear fairly often as superior alternatives, that's just the point: they're completely different in almost every way, and bottom-line are highly technical devices that will leave even most SNB enthusiasts confused at the least, even upset in some cases at the very mention of it as an alternative.

So it's a double-edge sword, and mostly just not a fit for SNB. A shame, possibly, but that's just the state of things.

Last edited:
I am working on getting things going but i have had problems getting my new 10G NICs to work. As far as i would like to review that router and bog it down with settings i am faced with a big problem that is i do not have the space for everything (what do i do with the router after testing?). Mikrotik routers cannot be used to do other things unlike what ubiquiti edgerouters or openWRT can such as acting like a mini server ( i have mysql, apache, print, sane and more all running on a raspberry pi 2, i cant do that with mikrotik). This also means that i am not going to buy any new mikrotik routerboard for a while until they come out with something useful like the ability to run and install programs or even a library to run java programs or even something like openWRT's library. Because of this my CCR1036 is always at 0% CPU usage despite the filtering i have on it and everything else i run on it.

However if you are in the market for configurable routers and already have the skill than mikrotik actually has more features than ubiquiti when it comes to network related stuff. The only issue with mikrotik is that you do not get any support in areas that make the router shine. I have the edgerouter pro and i am not able to replicate my network on it so i cant put an edgerouter in place of a mikrotik router. Its when you need complication that mikrotik routers actually do well.

If you want to know performance than the figures given by both UBNT and mikrotik are layer 3 routing in where tables and routes of IPv4 is used where there is no NAT, only forwarding or forwarding + rules. For most users they require NAT which is many times lower than the routing speed. Some mikrotik routerboards have hardware acceleration for forwarding and NAT but i am not sure that they list it on their product page.

Suggestion for new firmware for the RTAC66U would be to add Playstation 4 into port forwarding in case the settings for the Playstation 2 in port forwarding arent the same.

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!