What's new

RT-AC3200 accessing USB HDD via Mac OSX

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shez

Regular Contributor
I'm having some issues accessing my USB 3.0 HDD via OS X. HDD is mounted fine in the FW and is accessible. WD Cavier Black connected via an Anker USB 3.0 adapter.

When I go into finder the router is listed on the left hand side and when I go to it it says connection failed. I've edited settings and added my admin user and pass but still no luck. Anyone know how I can access this?

I've added some Screenshots with the issue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 20.27.14.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 20.27.14.png
    204.3 KB · Views: 834
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 20.27.31.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 20.27.31.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 859
BTW I have also tried loggin in as a guest with no luck either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an issue on my Macbook Pro (mid 2014) where having the power connected makes the router, satellite receiver and my NAS disappear in Finder!

Same issue for you perhaps?

Mine still appears in finder and is always connected to power as it is a desktop PC

As soon as I plug the drive in to the USB 3.0 port the router shows up in finder but no matter what I do it says connection failed!

As soon as I plug the drive in to the USB 3.0 port the router shows up in finder but no matter what I do it says connection failed!

Check your Keychain - and also finder is a bit odd compared to mounting the share via smb://host or cifs://host...

it's a finder thing/bug item...

Why check Keychain? I'm inputting my user/pass manually - it doesn't even attempt to enter details automatically. Finder seems to mount it fine as per the screenshots but it just won't authorise me to access it - advising me the connection failed.

I've also tried creating a new account/pass in FW for the media share and tried them credentials with no luck. I've attached a few screenshots of my FW settings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 08.46.32.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 08.46.32.png
    251.8 KB · Views: 700
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 08.46.58.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 08.46.58.png
    359.9 KB · Views: 481
@shez Try admin/admin* as the credential. This gives you access to all shares.

A new pair of user/password should also work if you have R/W permission properly set for the shares.

*No idea why password for admin is not changed for Samba when a user changes it for webUI login. Maybe a bug in recent Asuswrt/Merlin...:rolleyes:

Thanks - I tried admin/admin and I got an error with this - screenshot below.

And yeah I tried the new user/pass with permissions again with no luck.

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 09.27.56.png

Disconnect all your existing shares (from the router) in Finder. Take the piece of suggestion from sfx...go into keychain access and remove all stored credentials of those shares.

Start again in Finder and see..

Thanks, just tried all of that and still no luck. Crazy. Are there any other ways I can access the share?

Weird...I got the exact problem a few weeks back.

Let me recall what else I did...

Please do thanks. If it just doesn't work could someone advise me on how to access this as a network drive across all my devices some other way. It will mainly be used to share media throughout my home.

Right I've worked it out - the drive was empty. My bad. Created a folder - added permissions - sorted.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!