What's new

RT-AC3200 Replace

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Turbine

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone :)

I currently have Asus RT-AC3200 with latest Merlin FW.
I have about 8-10 2.4 clients at home. so the tri band is not really needed.
BUT . i get awkward 2.4ghz wifi speeds whithin 5 meter behind the router... for exanple :
Samsung Galaxy S7 : 60-80 Mb/Sec
Apple iPhone 7 : 15-20 Mb/Sec
Xiaomi Mi5s : 20-30 Mb/Sec

Tried TP-Link C3150
get better signal, but not better speeds.
I`m looking for the best 2.4 speeds for all devices.
What should i do ? its very weird.

asus has compatibility issues with apple, i wouldnt blame asus as the problem is with apple. They once had hardware issues with AES encryption so the phones would pick tkip rather than AES and may not connect with it.

2.4Ghz is hopeless now for speeds, theres just too much 2.4Ghz traffic around, you'd have to ask your neighbours to stop using wifi basically. Download wifi analyzer on your samsung galaxy phone and take a look at how busy your 2.4Ghz is.

samsung galaxy s7, iphone 7 should all have wifi AC.

Yeah but what about the xiaomi phone ?
And the tp-link router?
I get better speeds in the xiaomi phone from simple 2.4 routers..
My Hp laptop don't get good speeds as well.

5ghz signal is just not good enough for all places at home.
I want good 2.4 speeds in all of My devices.

Yeah but what about the xiaomi phone ?
And the tp-link router?
I get better speeds in the xiaomi phone from simple 2.4 routers..
My Hp laptop don't get good speeds as well.

5ghz signal is just not good enough for all places at home.
I want good 2.4 speeds in all of My devices.
the simple 2.4Ghz router wasnt friendlier towards other 2.4Ghz traffic.

I still don't understand why 3 different high end phones get so different speeds

I don't like the tp-link interface
Could u recommend other router with top coverage?

I still don't understand why 3 different high end phones get so different speeds

I don't like the tp-link interface
Could u recommend other router with top coverage?

Maybe different wireless chip/antenna in those phones? Is your router located in the best spot in the house?

I get full signal.. It's In the middle of the house. Very good spot.
Even I front of the router I get same speeds it's not a signal issue.

Would u recommend other router?

asus has compatibility issues with apple, i wouldnt blame asus as the problem is with apple.

Actually, the problem isn't with Apple - it's with Asus...

The numbers make it so... couple of million Asus routers vs. how many iDevices?

Seriously though - Apple doesn't do anything weird there - and they work fine with most other consumer and enterprise vendors...

i would tend to disagree , apple devices quite often wont connect to 40mhz 2.4gig , they are known to have roaming issues across same named ssid ap clusters , apple have always dont things their way regardless of the standards , im not unhappy that they are not making routers any more as it may force them to follow the normal standards and at least have better cross brand compatibility

pete

i would tend to disagree , apple devices quite often wont connect to 40mhz 2.4gig , they are known to have roaming issues across same named ssid ap clusters , apple have always dont things their way regardless of the standards , im not unhappy that they are not making routers any more as it may force them to follow the normal standards and at least have better cross brand compatibility

Don't get into "fake news" unless you can back it up... we have enough of that kind of stuff these days here in the US with a certain person...

Netgear, Linksys, Cisco, Aruba, and many others - no problems noted.

There was an issue years back with DHCP reservations - but that was more of problem with the site's admin, not not reasoned thought processes - and Apple did a work-around for them back in the day...

https://www.net.princeton.edu/apple-ios/ios41-allows-lease-to-expire-keeps-using-IP-address.html

Most of the iDevices issues here on SNB are around Asus - don't see much on other forums...

There are some compatibility problems between asus and apple. The problem is on both sides, some of apple, some of asus. however apple's compatibility issues have had bigger press.

There are some compatibility problems between asus and apple. The problem is on both sides, some of apple, some of asus. however apple's compatibility issues have had bigger press.

Asus is fairly Apple "unfriendly" - most of the issues are reported here - and no fixes... not just for basic connectivity, but also for things like AirPlay and AirPrint.

Not that Apple devices don't exist, but Asus seems to go out of the way there in not supporting them.

asus has compatibility issues with apple, i wouldnt blame asus as the problem is with apple. They once had hardware issues with AES encryption so the phones would pick tkip rather than AES and may not connect with it.

I haven't seen an issue where an Apple device get's "confused" with TKIP vs. AES - got sources here?

TKIP/AES is pretty much in Broadcom's domain there in the chipset, and again, no issues noted.

I haven't seen an issue where an Apple device get's "confused" with TKIP vs. AES - got sources here?

TKIP/AES is pretty much in Broadcom's domain there in the chipset, and again, no issues noted.
that was in the past, in the past there were hardware issues with some apple hardware only supporting tkip, they fixed that but it made media spotlight.

the compatibility issue between asus and apple is because asus wants to do some things their way (like beamforming as they were one of the first to market it loudly) and apple also wants to do things their way. Everyone else just follows what is standard or laid out already.

I'm going to catch heat from the el-cheapo crew, but screw it.

Turbine, if you've already been through a couple (or a few?) $200+ consumer boxes, it would appear you could accommodate a proper biz-grade Wave 2 AC solution - UniFi, even Ruckus - whatever, but just get something that's purpose-built, pair it with a good wired router (or one of your AIO's with wifi turned off) and you should be good to go. Done deal.

that was in the past, in the past there were hardware issues with some apple hardware only supporting tkip, they fixed that but it made media spotlight.

Every Airport interface that supports 802.11g and later supports WPA2-AES and WPA/WPA2-TKIP...

The classic 802.11b supported TKIP, and not AES, but this was a chipset limitation, similar to many other 802.11b chipsets at the time...

Care to quote your source? Otherwise you've been fact-checked and it's false news...

I did quote the source on the DHCP issue with Princeton.

the compatibility issue between asus and apple is because asus wants to do some things their way (like beamforming as they were one of the first to market it loudly) and apple also wants to do things their way. Everyone else just follows what is standard or laid out already.

Apple is just as compliant as anyone else with their client and AP solutions - they have to be - from a practical perspective and also for WiFi Alliance certification.

This goes even into WPA/WPA2 enterprise - as these clients also need to operate there.

Outside of the Princeton DHCP client issue - Aiports on the AP/Router side have had issues with some ISP's with regards to their IPv6 implementation, but that's an AP issue, and Apple doesn't standalone there - everyone has had some problems there with obtaining and maintaining the IPv6 leases... and this isn't just a client issue, some of the blame falls on the ISP side and IETF in general by offering so many different options.

pfSense has similar issues with IPv6 that Airports have - which makes sense in a way, as they're both BSD based - Airports being NetBSD, and pfSense being FreeBSD.

Every Airport interface that supports 802.11g and later supports WPA2-AES and WPA/WPA2-TKIP...

The classic 802.11b supported TKIP, and not AES, but this was a chipset limitation, similar to many other 802.11b chipsets at the time...

Care to quote your source? Otherwise you've been fact-checked and it's false news...

I did quote the source on the DHCP issue with Princeton.
not their routers, their devices like iphones and ipads not supporting WPA2 AES. It was an old issue but gained spotlight.