What's new

RT-AC66U throughput and logging

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cclarsen

New Around Here
Hello. I am running a RT-AC66U with FW 380.68_4 and I'm running into a throughput issue when I have logging turned on (accepted, dropped, or both). My internet service is 80M / 10M. With any logging option turned on I'm at best seeing 43M throughput, this is because my router CPU is maxing out at 100%. However, if logging is turned off I can get what I suspect is my full throughout of about 73M. I am remote logging to a local machine running Splunk (standard syslog logging port 514 - local machine ethernet cabled).

Again, I'm seeing this performance hit even when I have only dropped packet logging turned on.

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this or am I running into a physical limitation of my older router? Thanks!

Logging of all connections is going to put a significant strain on the CPU. You might be able to lessen the load by using a remote syslog server, but I believe that logging everything will still get you into performance issues.

If you want to log all traffic...get a proper FW that is built for that. I would say start with pfSense or OPNSense as something generally easy to setup and will be able to easily handle the logging you are trying to do to splunk.

I log the majority of my pfSense FW traffic to syslog as well with no performance issues. My splunk instance then picks up the logs from the local file server.