What's new

RT-AC68U and RT-AC56U: Beta firmware feedback

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asusnet

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

This is a separate thread for feedback on the beta I am providing.

Please feel free to discuss your experience with the beta here. Please also make sure to message me if you encounter any issues with the beta.

This beta is focused on implementing a new SDK for improved stability and to address 2.4Ghz issues.

For those that have not messaged me and would like to try the beta, you can send me a private message.

Note: I received a lot of responses, so I have not given the beta to everyone yet. I will get to everyone, please be patient.

RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374_398 Findings after a week + of usage

* 2.4GHz Clients across the board are stable in 20n and 40mhz n d.
* 2.4Ghz speeds are maxing out the device link
*file transfer speeds were fluctuating , would be good on one day low on another.
* 5GHZ speeds are excellent
* AC clients are good but link speed fluctuates*
(fixed in RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374_433, solid 1-1.3GBps link in RT-AC66U as media Bridge and PCE-AC66)
* Coverage is excellent through walls and far room where current stable firmware failed to reach.
* the speed drop to 1-2 mbps on 2.4Ghz is Fixed.
* Wireless clients on 2.4GHz kicked out every few hours is fixed.
(required Restart of wireless driver/now fixed)

RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374_433

* File Transfers seem to be faster and stable than all earlier versions, will test and post
results later.
* 5GHz AC link speed is not fluctuating anymore its 1-1.3GBps stable ,will post on longterm findings.
* 2.4GHz 20 and 40MHz N is excellent across all clients.

more to come after testing.....

----------------------------------------------------------
I am running 2 RT-AC68U's one as Router one as AP
2 RT-AC66U's one as AP and one as Media bridge to the router.
17 clients.
Internet speed 100Mbps

thanks! glad you are on the forum! ps. do you plan on updating hfs+ support? Occasionally the ac68u will corrupt the folders causing them to disappear from the drive entirely until I run DiskWarrior on it :( Plus the write/read speeds are terrible :(

RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374_433

* File Transfers seem to be faster and stable than all earlier versions, will test and post
results later.
* 5GHz AC link speed is not fluctuating anymore its 1-1.3GBps stable ,will post on longterm findings.
* 2.4GHz 20 and 40MHz N is excellent across all clients.

more to come after testing.....

It's less than 24 hours, but I have to admit the performance for me on this 374_433 is noticeably faster in terms GUI performance as well local LAN transfer (WIFI to LAN and vice versa). So far so good! Appreciate all the hardwork done by the ASUS folks and RMerlin!

thanks! glad you are on the forum! ps. do you plan on updating hfs+ support? Occasionally the ac68u will corrupt the folders causing them to disappear from the drive entirely until I run DiskWarrior on it :( Plus the write/read speeds are terrible :(

The current beta does use a newer version of the HFS+/NTFS driver, so it's possible it might improve things out.

i dont have AC clients but i am sure this router should be giving good speed backward compatible also on N..

Merlin 35_4 was giving me 150 mbps and 300 mbps on 5 GHz (Note 2 and Laptop in that order)..

this private beta 433 is giving me 72 mbps and 130 mbps..

how it is giving excellent results on your environment with this beta..

i dont have AC clients but i am sure this router should be giving good speed backward compatible also on N..

Merlin 35_4 was giving me 150 mbps and 300 mbps on 5 GHz (Note 2 and Laptop in that order)..

I have AC clients (Cisco WUMC710 bridge, Intel AC7260 laptop clients, Galaxy Note 3) connecting at 1170mbps, 702mbps and 433mbps but more importantly the performance with basic transfers over the LAN with multiple ISO transfers is very strong and stable. I have a couple of 2.4ghz & 5.8ghz N clients as well and they are connecting at 300mbps and haven't noticed the speed dropdown (hopefully never) that others have experienced. It's been less than a day, so we'll see how this plays out.

I'm very happy with the beta firmware.

2.4Ghz doesn't drop anymore, and is it just me, or does the admin interface seem much faster?

Great job ASUS!

Keep the router as high as possible in a room with an orientation shown here:

602006_601344766575592_1423932475_n.jpg

I have had no issues with 802.11n clients - Three iPads, two iPhones, MacBook Pro, Dell laptop (Intel Centrino 6200 AGN)

I have yet to fully test the changes, however, I did encounter an issue with upgrading.

After I upgraded the firmware and restarted the router, if I connected to the wifi on any bands, the router would not load any pages and would redirect all devices to log into the routers access page, even after doing so it would not let users leave or do anything else. To solve the issue, I had to select the reboot option on the router page.

I have yet to fully test the changes, however, I did encounter an issue with upgrading.

After I upgraded the firmware and restarted the router, if I connected to the wifi on any bands, the router would not load any pages and would redirect all devices to log into the routers access page, even after doing so it would not let users leave or do anything else. To solve the issue, I had to select the reboot option on the router page.

Did you do a factory reset and start from scratch without restoring settings from any backups?

Did you do a factory reset and start from scratch without restoring settings from any backups?

no, I did not.

Just tested the 40mhz 2.4 band. and wow, whatever you did asus, thank you, im now back to wifi everywhere in the house and out to my driveway and backyard, I get a stable 40mb/s -70mb/s upstairs, a floor above and within a 17 feet radius. as for the furthest rooms where they had dead zones, I now get 20-30mb/s in them!

prior to the beta, id only get about 4mb/s or nothing in the dead zones, and the 40mhz would drop,devices had a hard time connecting, and it would only output 3-9mb/s!

although my windows connection speed is 144mb/s and insider show 216 max.

Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
tell me one thing to understand all this properly..

my Dell E6420 laptop has both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz capability..

Inssider on this laptop tells me as below:

Max speed on 2.4 GHz it shows as 216
Max speed on 5 GHz it shows as 450

just infront of the router 5 feet away..

is that alright?

tell me one thing to understand all this properly..

my Dell E6420 laptop has both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz capability..

Inssider on this laptop tells me as below:

Max speed on 2.4 GHz it shows as 216
Max speed on 5 GHz it shows as 450

just infront of the router 5 feet away..

is that alright?

What are your 2.4ghz settings?

Please share

I have 450 on 2.4ghz and 5ghz on insider.

Here are the settings to use. channel use inssider to find least congested channel.

Attachments

• 2.4 .jpg
    2.4 .jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 462
  • 2.4 pro.jpg
    2.4 pro.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 626
Here are the settings to use. channel use inssider to find least congested channel.

what the hack !!!

NOW ITS SHOWING 450 on 2.4 GHz as well !!! :)

ScreenHunter_02 Dec. 08 17.23.jpg

am i happy :)

thanks a million mate !!

okay in that sense can you please look at the 5Ghz settings below:

ScreenHunter_02 Dec. 08 17.25.jpg
ScreenHunter_03 Dec. 08 17.25.jpg

is that okay?

Last edited:
Hi,

None of the client are able to find anything of AC68U on the network and not also the media server... earlier i was able to access this over network and also the mediaserver was getting discovered by the clients.. not sure what happened.. what to do..

Didn't understand. The clients are not able to connect to the router? Or the shares are not visible? The latter has nothing to do with wireless settings.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!