What's new

RT-AC68U / RT-AC68P / RT-AC1900 / RT-AC1900P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If it still works fine don't worry about. My 88U, 68P and 66U run at that temp no worries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It works totally fine, but never experience these temps on my old router. It was roughly around 60C. But thanks for the info.

You say I should overclock it to get more speed and heat? ;)
Debate topic......I overclock my 68R from 800 to 1200, but added a 'laptop' cooler to keep the temps in check.
My 68P, from 1000 - 1200, doesn't need a cooler, stays under 80C.

Debate topic......I overclock my 68R from 800 to 1200, but added a 'laptop' cooler to keep the temps in check.
My 68P, from 1000 - 1200, doesn't need a cooler, stays under 80C.
To be perfectly honest I see no point on my router. Since I just use it as a... router. All extra features I got servers for.

Hi! i have a problem with a ac68u router. in the last morning doesnt work lan & wifi, now lan works only in browser (antivirus cant update, utorrent doenst work) and on wifi im connected but no internet, when i try to acces a site redirects me to 192.168.0.1, to a Tenda router login page. I tried with reset, restart, merlin firmware...

thanks

Hi! i have a problem with a ac68u router. in the last morning doesnt work lan & wifi, now lan works only in browser (antivirus cant update, utorrent doenst work) and on wifi im connected but no internet, when i try to acces a site redirects me to 192.168.0.1, to a Tenda router login page. I tried with reset, restart, merlin firmware...

thanks

Are you on the latest firmware? Did you try a factory re-set and then reconfigure?

I'm finally upgrading from my Linksys E4200. I have a T-Mobile TM-AC1900 on the way ($60 slickdeal, yay!). I was planning on flashing it to an RT-AC68U. Is there a real world use case/scenario that would make the RT-AC1900P from Best Buy worth it for 3x the cost?

Edit:
USB port will only be used for printer sharing, not for storage.

Last edited:
Thank you! Very enlightening. No reason to pay the premium. Looking forward to getting the TM-AC1900 flashed/configured. I'm hoping it will be a significant upgrade in terms of both wireless and routing performance over my Linksys E4200.
I am quite sure you will notice a difference.
The E4200-v2 was in 2012 my 802.11n upgrade from the good old WRT54GL that served me from 2006 or so.
The E4200 survived about 2 months in my home, the range at 2.4 GHz was worser than the WRT54GL and Linksys decided to quit "regular" firmware and came up with their smart variant and discontinued the regular firmware.
That made me kick out the E4200 and got a RT-N66U also in 2012, what a relief. The RT-N66U is about 8 weeks ago replaced by a RT-AC68U-A2 to get 802.11ac.

Last edited:
I am quite sure you will notice a difference.
The E4200-v2 was in 2012 my 802.11n upgrade from the good old WRT54GL that served me from 2006 or so.
The E4200 survived about 2 months in my home, the range at 2.4 GHz was worser than the WRT54GL and Linksys decided to quit "regular" firmware and came up with their smart variant and discontinued the regular firmware.
That made me kick out the E4200 and got a RT-N66U also in 2012, what a relief. The RT-N66U is about 8 weeks ago replaced by a RT-AC68U-A2 to get 802.11ac.

I had a very similar upgrade path - WRT54G to the E4200 V1 (based on the reviews on this site) :)

I have been delaying the move to a AC1900, but it's time now.

Hi, Please excuse me if my post seems to be have been answered prior. I've found SO many conflicting answers that I really needed some sanity. After 3+ years, I'm replacing my RT-N66 router/APs, running Toastman's builds, to get us to "AC" models. From SNB, the "1900 AC class" is the "mature sweet spot" (I'll use 1 or 2 as as AP's too). However, I've spent the past day+ googling and reading SNB threads attempting to wade through the ASUS RT-AC68 P|R|U|W versions A1|A2|B1|C1|V2 / RT-AC1900 T|P V1|V3 or TM-AC1900(T-Mobile) quagmire in my attempt to be sure I'm buying a router I can load Tomato mods from Toastman, Shibby or the improved ASUS/Merlin mods.

This thread sums the community (and my) frustration.

If the table at the top can be expanded to add the known supported firmware forks, that would be SO helpful to the ASUS purchasing community looking for the best combinations of AC1900 gear and Firmware. Maybe to keep it simpler, just list the versions as version "380.x and above

... Firmware Mod, Firmware Version, Supported?, Add Notes..
... Shibby|Merlin|Toastman, K26ARM, Y | N, C1 is NOT supported

Shibby has come close here --> http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69

What I'm struggling with is we have no clear table showing what is supported for the RT-AC68xxx or the newest RT-AC1900P.

What I think I understand as of now:
1) For the RT-AC1900|1900P --> Merlin has delivered our ONLY MOD ARM AC firmware. But board differences make it not play nice with any Tomato mods yet.
2) For the RT-AC68U|R --> Merlin, Shibby and Toastman ARM AC builds work. (Except for the C1 version)
3) For the RT-AC68P --> Merlin works but b/c of another board variant in this model, both Shibby and Toastman will not work.

Links...
4) Board variants on RT-AC68P prevent the Tomato ARM FW from working -> http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68p-and-tomato-arm-firmware.20944/
5) AC68URWP all can run the same FW? (Is this ASUS Merlin only or includes Tomato?) --> http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68r-vs-rt-ac68u-confusion.23465/
6) Database of working Tomato firmware shows loads for Shibby and AdvancedTomato (but not Toastman) onto the RT-AC68P/U B1 --> http://anon.groov.pl/index.php?model=Asus+RT-AC68P/U+B1
7) Updating the T-Mobile "1900" / CFE etc.. for that 1900 model --> http://www.snbforums.com/threads/up...ile-cell-spot-to-merlin-firmware-guide.28961/
8) Another RT-ACxx discussion -> http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-cpu-spec.31975/
9) A great wiki reference across all models.. it completes the original table? --> https://wikidevi.com/wiki/List_of_802.11ac_Hardware

So my questions are before I leap with $:

1) Is the newest RT-AC1900P (1.4GHz 2core) supported by current Tomato builds? Which ones? No? Any thoughts on when/if it will be?
2) Is the RT-AC68P (1GHz) supported by only Shibby and Merlin and not Toastman mods?
3) Is the RT-AC68P really = to RT-AC1900P except the latter has the 1.4GHz CPU vs 1.0GHz.. if so then shouldn't the Tomato mods work per the above? (I do not want to brick a new router)

Your suggestions, clarifications, and corrections will be awesome and welcome.

Thanks,
G. Mobley

Last edited:
The general rule is, if it has a BCM4709C0, then it's not supported by Tomato at this time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!