What's new

RT-AC68U temperatures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How does a fan (too close) kill the wireless range?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Fans generate electromagnetic interference... much like a baby monitor or a cordless phone. Attaching one directly to the unit is like putting a baby monitor on it (so I am told).

Fans generate electromagnetic interference... much like a baby monitor or a cordless phone. Attaching one directly to the unit is like putting a baby monitor on it (so I am told).

They do produce some EMR but normally in the low HF band so the higher freqs routers use it should be fine.

If you have data to support this I would appreciate seeing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

many cooling pad have metal grid on top, so no interferences ;)

fan affect wireless range?... I have no experience.
it hard to generate high frequency interference by just a small DC fan.

The obstructions major kill wireless range. other wireless devices minor interference.

root@RT-AC87R:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/dmu/temperature
CPU temperature : 72°C

root@RT-AC87R:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
44 (0x2c)

root@RT-AC87R:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
wl: wl driver adapter not found

Any ideas why my 5 ghz radio (eth2) is erroring out? I can connect to it fine from my laptop.

root@RT-AC87R:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/dmu/temperature
CPU temperature : 72°C

root@RT-AC87R:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
44 (0x2c)

root@RT-AC87R:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense
wl: wl driver adapter not found

Any ideas why my 5 ghz radio (eth2) is erroring out? I can connect to it fine from my laptop.

That's because the wl command is only for the Broadcom chipset, and the RT-AC87U does not use Broadcom for its 5 GHz wifi.

I have managed to reduce my temps further whilst also decreasing fan noise.

I got a 3 speed fan from amazon but was expecting higher temps due to less fins, and a bigger distance between fan and router, but on the lowest speed my temps are about 8C lower than the previous fan.

So now I have cpu temps below 55C and even below 50C on a cold day.

Shipped temps non overclocked circa 70-75C
Temps with previous fan whilst overclocked 57C-65C
Temps with current fan at lowest rpm whilst overclocked 45-52C (in hot summer days this may well hit mid to high 50s tho)

The 2.4ghz temps are so low they dont graph anymore as min is 40C to graph :)

The 2.4ghz temps are so low they dont graph anymore as min is 40C to graph
Just a reminder that running with too low a temp can also be a bad thing. One thing I noticed while poking around in the code, is that the wireless drivers adjust power output depending on the temperature. It wouldn't surprise me that going too far outside of the 'norm' (either high or low)could result in decreased wireless performance

If I have my router's CPU at 80-85C, should I consider adding a fan to it?

If I have my router's CPU at 80-85C, should I consider adding a fan to it?

If that's as hot as it gets without freezing up or doing unwanted instantaneous reboots, probably not.

But if it is somewhere where the added noise won't bother anyone, it could possibly prolong the life of the hardware.

So, where do you fall on the above spectrum?

If that's as hot as it gets without freezing up or doing unwanted instantaneous reboots, probably not.

But if it is somewhere where the added noise won't bother anyone, it could possibly prolong the life of the hardware.

So, where do you fall on the above spectrum?
It doesn't have any problem, but noise won't bother anyone at all, so I might find some fan for it. Thanks!

I am currently with my fan off, with summer over its hovering around 75-77C (ac68 overclocked), as people have said this is ok I am leaving it like this until my third fan arrives.

It seems its really hard to buy a quiet fan now days as everyone is trying to build them cheap to get high sales. The current fan is a tri speed and the overall noise is very quiet on the low speed but it has started making random buzzing and clicking noises.

It seems its really hard to buy a quiet fan now days as everyone is trying to build them cheap to get high sales. The current fan is a tri speed and the overall noise is very quiet on the low speed but it has started making random buzzing and clicking noises.

Running two 6cm / 12Volt fans on a 5Volt USB (phone) adapter here and those fans are very quiet (and brought my router's CPU from 84C to 66C).

When your fan is adjustable to 3 speeds with an electronic controller, it might be the (electronics in the) controller that create the buzzing and clicking noises.

can you post a link to one of those adaptors so I have an idea what you talking about, thanks.

can you post a link to one of those adaptors so I have an idea what you talking about, thanks.
You could use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CQ8H7P4/?tag=snbforums-20
or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGU2KZ4/?tag=snbforums-20

Cut the cable and connect them to the wires of the ventilator(s).

My hobby "cooling system" looks like this :)
2ltm5b7.jpg

Well my fan (was still powered down) broke free from the blutak holding it to my router a few hours ago so this motivated me to do some testing.

A fan I brought a month back (normal desktop fan with its own stand usb powered) I tested placed next to the router diagonally blowing air onto it, I had to put blutak between its stand and the desk else the vibrations pushed it off the desk, and it still seems reasonably effective at cooling but is pretty noisy without its power input crippled (yes I still not purchased anything to cripple its power). I wont be keeping it on just testing as its pretty cold ambient temperatures here now in november, the router was at 66C passively cooled, its now dropped to 51 with the 2.4 wifi below 40 and 5 wifi at 42.

Basically I been considering 2 ideas, as I have never liked using the blutak method since its so hard to keep the fan secured with blutak, it means once its on I dont want to take it off and that allows tons of dust to clog up the fins. I had to hoover the back of the router today as was tons of dust on the back. So a long term solution going forward for summer cooling will have a requirement that I can easily move the fan so can clean up the dust.

The 2 ideas are.

1 - use the three speed fan again but attach it with clips that hook over the top of the router, not found any clips that would be suited for this tho but seems the most practical way. If I did this I would also need to solve the noises from it which sinds like a grindy motor, I dont know if its vibration been the cause or the motor itself, I removed the label to see how practical it would be to lubricate it but doesnt look practical.
2 - use a desktop fan which doesnt have the grindy vibrating noise, however the overall noise of the fan is too high for my liking so I would need to cripple its power.

I got 7-8 months to sort this out before it gets hot again.

I am currently with my fan off, with summer over its hovering around 75-77C (ac68 overclocked), as people have said this is ok I am leaving it like this until my third fan arrives.

I live in a subtropical climate where year round fan operation is essential, especially on the AC68U which has production quality problems with its heat sinks. Noise & reliability are issues cannot be ignored.
I used a Dremel to cut a neat hole on the rear of the case. I bought a small high quality 12v case fan, attached a 5v USB connector. and attached it externally to the router case. The fan spins at half speed making it quiet and long lived.
I attached the fan using double sided tape.
The fan is powered from the router USB 2.0 port.
At ambient 30c the CPU sits stable on 60c. Radios temps are negligible.
Before doing this the router was regularly needing reboots due to lockups.

Attachments

• IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,169
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!