What's new

RT-AC86U issues on Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerbattles

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I'm having more issues on Merlin firmware.

A bit of history, up to about version 13 everything was fine and I installed lots of standard scripts to try things out, and had no issues with the webui or putty login being slow.

Since updating to 384.17 I have had issues as follows:
1. SKynet was locking up and showing it permanantly had a file locked so I could neither unistall it or disable it. Managed to disable then install after a bit of messing around in scmerlin.
2. Webui is slow or sometimes doesn't work at all. Sometimes the status part with the cpu bars doesn't show.
3. Putty login is very slow and scripts interfaces load slowly.

This all points to something locking up the cores and the status page confirms this - sometimes it's only one core maxed sometimes both as per graph.

1595962230165.png

However when I look at the cpu monitor in SCmerlin there is no instance that is over about 10% at any one time. All looks okay generally.

I have recently updated to 384.18 and still have the issues - don't really want to go through a nuclear reset procedure but is this the only way forward?
I did a full reset to get me to 384.17 when that was released but something went wrong after a while after introducing some of the standard scripts - flexqos was the only new one different from last time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

It could be a failing/corrupt USB drive (for your scripts), this has sometimes been the cause of CPU spikes or excessive load continuously. If possible, move over to a newer and preferably faster (I/O throughput) USB drive, formatted in amtm as ext4 w/journaling. Or go straight to using a small SSD in an external UGreen case for best speed and reliability.

Edit: a full reset back to defaults, and manually setup from scratch may be the only full solution if the above doesn't fix it.

I had similar issues with my RT-AC86U several versions back - and can confirm that full factory reset plus new USB 3 [Samsung] with rebuild from scratch using amtm as guided by L&LD [see his profile page information for links] ... and never looked back - rock steady and fully stable with all ad-ons per my signature.

Hi all,

I'm having more issues on Merlin firmware.

A bit of history, up to about version 13 everything was fine and I installed lots of standard scripts to try things out, and had no issues with the webui or putty login being slow.

Since updating to 384.17 I have had issues as follows:
1. SKynet was locking up and showing it permanantly had a file locked so I could neither unistall it or disable it. Managed to disable then install after a bit of messing around in scmerlin.
2. Webui is slow or sometimes doesn't work at all. Sometimes the status part with the cpu bars doesn't show.
3. Putty login is very slow and scripts interfaces load slowly.

This all points to something locking up the cores and the status page confirms this - sometimes it's only one core maxed sometimes both as per graph.

View attachment 24967

However when I look at the cpu monitor in SCmerlin there is no instance that is over about 10% at any one time. All looks okay generally.

I have recently updated to 384.18 and still have the issues - don't really want to go through a nuclear reset procedure but is this the only way forward?
I did a full reset to get me to 384.17 when that was released but something went wrong after a while after introducing some of the standard scripts - flexqos was the only new one different from last time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
What scripts are you running? Any chance UiDivstats is one?

What scripts are you running? Any chance UiDivstats is one?
I have only recently started with UiDivstats I believe - why can this cause issues?

Another symptom I have it seems is that my scripts are not updating properly even with force updates -

1595967217100.png

I cannot update any of the scripts shown although I believe they are at current versions anyway?

I have a brand new (ish) usb 3 stick sat in the USB 2 slot btw - this was solid previously a couple of months ago. I used to run it in the usb 3 slot but after last nuclear refresh I moved it to the 2 slot (after reading 3 slot can interfere with antennas poss).

Thanks for the responses so far BTW.

UIdivstats config
1595967658672.png

I have just switched the cache on and here is my CPU now -

1595967936249.png

AMazing thanks for the suggestion to look at this @QuikSilver.

Now I just need to understand what's wromg with my other scripts and get those working again as normal.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!