What's new

RT-AC87U - AP mode - Quantenna weirdness

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

highwire

Regular Contributor
If you look at the system architecture block diagram of the RT-AC87U, the Quantenna SoC / 5GHz radio is basically a second router within the router. There were a few times in the past when the Quantenna SoC crashed on me, some times would try do reboot using BootP with the MAC address of 00:26:86:00:00:00 and fail miserably.

Anyhow, because ASUS broke WAN counts, I have switched my 87U to AP mode and use a new pfSense box to perform routing/firewall/DHCP duties. Here's the strange thing though - the 87U is requesting two IP addresses. The first is for the main LAN MAC address, and the second is for MAC address 00:26:86:00:00:00 ("Quantenna Communications"). I don't know if that means bridging between the Broadcom SoC and the Quantenna SoC is going outside of the 87U, or if it remains inside the 87U. I just think it's weird.

The reason Quantenna went for that design is for simpler integration into existing designs. The Quantenna CPU + radio sits on either the PCI-E or the RGMII bus, and runs its own firmware, so very little changes are required to the "main" router firmware. All settings are handled over RPC or a raw socket, through an API library (which is fully open-sourced BTW).

Otherwise, Quantenna would be forced to come up with a complete solution, including a reference firmware design that has all the bells & whistles of a typical router firmware, plus a higher-end CPU, etc...

I'm running an AC87 in AP mode and noticed the same thing. After messing around for an hour or so I was still baffled. In the end I just relented and went with a static assignment. Another annoyance... no matter what I tried, and I spent most of Sunday on this, I was completely unable to get unit to pair up with an AC3200 in repeater mode. No such issues with either an AC66 or AC68. In fact the primary reason I went to the AC3200 was to get away from all the Quantenna issues. So it is what it is - an AP that I also happen to offload some script chores and SMB server duties to. A little less for the AC3200 to worry about.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!