What's new

RT-AC87U can't see it's own 5Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom_Hall

Occasional Visitor
Hi - as the subject implies, I've got a RT-AC87U, running Merlin 378.53

I've got both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz turned-on (with different ssid's), and I have devices connected to both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.

The odd thing though is that my router (in the Wireless > Site Survey tab), can't see it's own 5Ghz signal, although it's 2.4Ghz signal shows ok, and also a neighbour's 5Ghz signal shows ok.

I'm not hiding ssids, and I can see both ssids from my mobile phone

Any ideas ?
Is this a known problem in Site Survey ?

Under the general tab, go to wireless>general and select the 2.4Ghz (or 5Gz) and then go and do another site survey. You should see the 5Ghz now. Mine shows up but quite faintly on my ac87u.

Under the general tab, go to wireless>general and select the 2.4Ghz (or 5Gz) and then go and do another site survey. You should see the 5Ghz now. Mine shows up but quite faintly on my ac87u.

Just tried that (I've also tried both active & passive scan modes)
I can see my neighbours 5Ghz ssid, but I can't see my own 5Ghz ssid

Just tried that (I've also tried both active & passive scan modes)
I can see my neighbours 5Ghz ssid, but I can't see my own 5Ghz ssid
I can't even see my 2.4Ghz or any other SSID broadcasted by my router... So was it supposed to show all SSIDs from our own router!?

I can't even see my 2.4Ghz or any other SSID broadcasted by my router... So was it supposed to show all SSIDs from our own router!?

On closer inspection, the 2.4Ghz which I thought was from the router was infact from a Wireless unit in the garage - after removing that, I agree with MarioCaires - and suspect the site survey option excludes ssids from your own router

I have two RT-AC68U and I can confirm routers don't show their respective SSID for both bands.