What's new

RT-AC88U Nightmare!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shez

Regular Contributor
I got bored of my AC3200, gifted it to my Aunty and decided to finally get myself an AC88U (I've been wanting it for a while!)

First day wifi was excellent speed wise but not as good range wise (which I found awkward as I was sure the 88U would be better).

On the third day the 5GHZ radio stopped working. The LED stayed on but nothing on devices. Tried reboot/reset/nvram reset and eventually the 5GHZ LED also switched off. I then tried the past 4 firmware versions to see if I could get it working again and also WRT Merlin with no luck. I pretty much tried everything I could.

I was expecting this to be a solid router - specially with it being out so long now giving ASUS time to iron out firmware bugs etc. I'm patiently waiting for a replacement now and considering switching over to a Synology AC2600 after being a loyal ASUS user for years.

What are everyone's recent thoughts and experiences with this router? I've read a lot of old posts about people having issues around a year ago but not much so recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got bored of my AC3200, gifted it to my Aunty and decided to finally get myself an AC88U (I've been wanting it for a while!)

First day wifi was excellent speed wise but not as good range wise (which I found awkward as I was sure the 88U would be better).

On the third day the 5GHZ radio stopped working. The LED stayed on but nothing on devices. Tried reboot/reset/nvram reset and eventually the 5GHZ LED also switched off. I then tried the past 4 firmware versions to see if I could get it working again and also WRT Merlin with no luck. I pretty much tried everything I could.

I was expecting this to be a solid router - specially with it being out so long now giving ASUS time to iron out firmware bugs etc. I'm patiently waiting for a replacement now and considering switching over to a Synology AC2600 after being a loyal ASUS user for years.

What are everyone's recent thoughts and experiences with this router? I've read a lot of old posts about people having issues around a year ago but not much so recently.

I believe the issue is there are different revisions of the 88U same with the 3100 its brother. Unfortunately it seems the first ones back in 2015 were the best. I have the 3100 bought at release and have suffered from NONE of the issues others are reporting with these routers that have new revision numbers. Seems Asus changed something and not for the best. Just my observation reading here and other forums.

My AC88U has been the best router ever so far (knock on wood...) and I have experienced zero problems with it. It's an early 2016 version.
Maybe you just had bad luck with the first one.

Man you guys are lucky. I tried a second 1 and got the exact same issue! Given up on ASUS now totally - they don't build them like the RT-N56U anymore!

Currently trying out the Netgear R9000. Web UI Is atrocious!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!