What's new

RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So it too only partially works but gives you 4 more ports and red antennas???? :D sorry couldn't help myself. For the people with them has the roll out been far less buggy?

My 87U was a hunk of crap. Constant drops on 5G, slowness on wifi, GUI issues. Was sick on tired of flashing the new betas every week hoping for a fix.

The 88U, so far, has been awesome. No slowness that I can detect. Wifi seems solid (it's only been two days though) and I expect it to be this way thanks to not have that crappy QT chip any longer. I sold my 87U and picked up a Linksys e8500 in the meantime. Good router, but, I hate the dumbed down management interface on it. Could also never get port forwarding working properly on it.

So far, I can say, the wifi signal on the 88u is better than either of the two older models. Just have to wait to see how it goes.

Last edited:
It's been very stable so far. As you can see here, almost no complain regarding either of them.
Nice if it continues to work well it would be well worth 300 after the butt hurt of dealing with the 87u. Sad it cant be used as in repeater mode is the 88u the same way?

Nice if it continues to work well it would be well worth 300 after the butt hurt of dealing with the 87u. Sad it cant be used as in repeater mode is the 88u the same way?

Correct. Currently only router, Access Point and Media Bridge modes are supported.

Would make for a pretty expensive repeater IMHO, since most of the AC88U signature features wouldn't be used then. A cheaper RT-AC68U would give nearly the same performance as a repeater.

Correct. Currently only router, Access Point and Media Bridge modes are supported.

Would make for a pretty expensive repeater IMHO, since most of the AC88U signature features wouldn't be used then. A cheaper RT-AC68U would give nearly the same performance as a repeater.

Well the 66u 68u 87u and 88u all start at around the same price? At some point you will be able to get an 88u at a less expensive price. At some point they are going to unleash the mu-mimo and would be nice to have repeaters that can do mu-mimo in the future.

Well the 66u 68u 87u and 88u all start at around the same price? At some point you will be able to get an 88u at a less expensive price. At some point they are going to unleash the mu-mimo and would be nice to have repeaters that can do mu-mimo in the future.

No, the AC66U started at half that price. AC68U was about 40$ more expensive, AC87U added another 70-100$. New models are increasingly more expensive.

Reactions: thc
I wonder if the 88U or the 5300 will be on sale during the Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales.

Merlin, any idea if Flow Accelerator is an option on the 88U along with CTF? Or was that simply a QT chipset thing on the 87U?

Merlin, any idea if Flow Accelerator is an option on the 88U along with CTF? Or was that simply a QT chipset thing on the 87U?

It should be there, although I haven't specifically checked. It wasn't related to QTN in any way, it's a Broadcom technology that they added with the bcm4709, as used by the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200. I would expect that to have been carried over to the bcm47904 as well.

It should be there, although I haven't specifically checked. It wasn't related to QTN in any way, it's a Broadcom technology that they added with the bcm4709, as used by the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200. I would expect that to have been carried over to the bcm47904 as well.

Looks like it may not be. Went through the normal config, including disabling spanning tree, and no dice.

Got my 88U to replace my N66. Was having issues in my house with the N66 and all the devices we are running. Speeds were max 50 down on the N66. With the 88U I have max speed (175down 25up) in the entire house. House is 2500sf 2story. It runs on AC everywhere so Im pretty happy. 300$ lota $$$ but Its very stable and am running stock firmware and never reset or turned off for the last week or whatever. Thumbs up from me.

Got my 88U to replace my N66. Was having issues in my house with the N66 and all the devices we are running. Speeds were max 50 down on the N66. With the 88U I have max speed (175down 25up) in the entire house. House is 2500sf 2story. It runs on AC everywhere so Im pretty happy. 300$ lota $$$ but Its very stable and am running stock firmware and never reset or turned off for the last week or whatever. Thumbs up from me.
I've noticed the same transition from my N66 to my AC3100

So here's another data point for those still undecided about the RT-AC88U.

I upgraded from a RT-AC68U with firmware 3.0.0.4.378.9313* installed.

RT-AC88U with 3.0.0.4.380.858* installed.
QNAP TVS-871 w/Cisco SG 300-10
2600 sq ft 2 story house with router installed upstairs.
PCE-AC68 w/2.0.8.8 in a W10 machine downstairs.

RT AC88U.jpg

With the RT-AC68U I would get ~60MBs!

*Router reset/manual config after firmware update.

Last edited:
Got one ordered just need to wait for it to come from the states a replacement for my rt66u hope it's a great upgrade

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I'm seriously debating on this purchase. This 87U is horrible with the 5GHZ. Every time I come home after being gone 4 days, nothing connects to the 5GHz. have to always reboot the router. May ebay it

So here's another data point for those still undecided about the RT-AC88U.

I upgraded from a RT-AC68U with firmware 3.0.0.4.378.9313* installed.

RT-AC88U with 3.0.0.4.380.858* installed.
QNAP TVS-871 w/Cisco SG 300-10
2600 sq ft 2 story house with router installed upstairs.
PCE-AC68 w/2.0.8.8 in a W10 machine downstairs.

View attachment 4876

With the RT-AC68U I would get ~60MBs!

*Router reset/manual config after firmware update.
Shut the front door! Wow!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!