What's new

RT-AX88U causing bluetooth audio interference

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whippoorwill

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

My RT-AX88U has always caused interference and audio stuttering in my home theater audio streamed to it from my PC, iPad or iPhone. No matter which of these 3 devices is streaming, the stuttering and skipping is always present, and only stops after I restart the router--something that is both cumbersome and also not ideal because all the devices in the house lose connectivity briefly.

I tried changing the control channel and frequency band on both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz bands, but it did not help.

Please help me.

Thanks.

Bluetooth shares the same 2.4GHz band as Wi-Fi so it's not that surprising you have problems. There's an option in the 2.4GHz Wireless - Professional settings called "Bluetooth Coexistence" which you can try changing.

Hi Guys,

My RT-AX88U has always caused interference and audio stuttering in my home theater audio streamed to it from my PC, iPad or iPhone. No matter which of these 3 devices is streaming, the stuttering and skipping is always present, and only stops after I restart the router--something that is both cumbersome and also not ideal because all the devices in the house lose connectivity briefly.

I tried changing the control channel and frequency band on both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz bands, but it did not help.

Please help me.

Thanks.

I've tried the coexistence settings in the router and didn't have any luck, you might though, try both kinds, one only works with devices that support it, the other is a more general/universal one. For me a new bluetooth 5.0 headset resolved it. Some BT stuff just seems better at working alongside wifi than others (I had 2 or 3 of the exact same model of previous headset over several years and all had the same problem, I think it probably BT 3 or maybe even older). This isn't just with Asus, my other AP also caused it.

If you aren't using the 2.4ghz band for much you could disable it while streaming but that is cumbersome also. A newer/better adapter may fix it since each version of BT has improved interference rejection. Ones that support LE audio not only have the best coexistence but also have higher quality, lower latency streaming.

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, neither the 'enabled' nor the 'preemptive' values for Bluetooth coexistence yielded positive results.

Recently, I acquired a new Bluetooth 5 transceiver and integrated it with my home audio system via an optical cable. My rationale behind this purchase was that my existing home theater only supports Bluetooth 2.1 or a similar version. However, the new device's performance turned out to be even worse than before, leading me to decide to return it.

I made an attempt to address the situation by deactivating the 2.4GHz radio through the wireless>professional menu within the Asus router settings interface. (I require the 2.4GHz frequency only when using my Kindle, as it exclusively supports that range. I mostly keep it in airplane mode.) Despite my efforts to turn it off on the router and confirming my changes by clicking the 'Apply' button, I observed that all devices still manage to detect and connect to the 2.4GHz frequency. This occurrence puzzles me; could you shed some light on how this is possible? It's worth mentioning that I have AiMesh enabled, and another Asus router downstairs is connected via a Cat 6 cable.

I am seeking your assistance in understanding why the 2.4GHz frequency persists even after my attempts to disable it. Am I correct in assuming that the 'Professional' menu is the designated location for this adjustment?

I sincerely appreciate your help.

I was able to find out on this forum the way to disable 2.4GHz on the AiMesh node downstairs, and after doing that the 2.4GHz doesn't show up anymore. And to possibly improve things even more, I rebooted my laptop and modem and both routers ('system reboot').

The audio quality is perfect now.

Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!