What's new

RT-N66U 2,4Ghz issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smlunatick

Occasional Visitor
I'm replacing my Netgear WNDR3700v1 with the "nice" RT-N66U. Now my Netgear WNDA3100v2 (2 units) will not connect past 130-144 Mbps. The Netgear "managment" software also only liist one channnel, instead of the two for the usually "channel width." However, when I switch to the 5.0Ghz band, all seems to be correct with 300Mbps and two channels listed.

I had updated to .112 firmware "before" setting the router onto my home network. I just tried .108. Both do not give full "300 Mbps" when on the 2.4Ghz.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm replacing my Netgear WNDR3700v1 with the "nice" RT-N66U. Now my Netgear WNDA3100v2 (2 units) will not connect past 130-144 Mbps. The Netgear "managment" software also only liist one channnel, instead of the two for the usually "channel width." However, when I switch to the 5.0Ghz band, all seems to be correct with 300Mbps and two channels listed.

I had updated to .112 firmware "before" setting the router onto my home network. I just tried .108. Both do not give full "300 Mbps" when on the 2.4Ghz.

What am I doing wrong?

Have you looked at the wireless networks around you? Your router may be trying to help you be a good neighbor? Try inSSIDer to see if channel bonding really makes sense at your location.

I was attaempting to set up the RT-N66U with the same settings that oare on my WNDR3700v1, in hopes to just be a "swap out." As I say, the 2.4GHz network will only give 130 to 144Mbps with my my Netgear WNDA3100v2 adapters.

They work when on the 5.0Ghz network and get 300Mbps.

As for channel bonding, Wikipedia says:

Channel Bonding, also known as 40 MHz

I does not appear to make any difference for the 2.4GHz network. Only wone channel is used. On the 5.0Ghz, there are to channels showns and used.

Last edited:
You might not be doing anything wrong. Vendors are getting more diligent in implementing more aggressive "good neighbor" behavior in the 2.4 GHz band. "Good neighbor" means that the router will not allow 40 MHz bandwidth mode to be used if there are any other networks detected.

I am trying to get more information on the exact conditions that will trigger automatic fallback to 20 MHz mode and will post an article when I do. But if you have any other wireless networks in range in the 2.4 GHz band, this "good neighbor" behavior could be the cause.

As I stated, I'm trying to replace a Netgear WNDR3700v1 router that is failing. I was suggested the ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight 900Mbps router. However, the 2.4Ghz network will not go past the 130-144Mbps access speed, which does not happen with my 3700v1 router.

I tried the following wireless adapters:

Netgear WNDA3100v2 (2 units.) on Windows 7 -- 300Mbps only on 5.0GHz
(also works @ 300Mbps on the 5.0Ghz with my Panasonic Plasma TV)

Linksys WUSB600v2 (2 units.) on Windows XP -- As predicted, works @ 300Mbps only on the 5.0Ghz band.

Last edited:
AnthonyArmato

Thanks! It seems that the 2.4Ghz band does not automatically switch to the 40Mhz band, which the 5.0Mhz seem to do.

300Mbps on each band now.

Well, I replied too soon. The 40Mhz width setting did not last. There seems to be more issues on the 2.4Ghz for me. I need to also set the:

Control Channel: 6
Extension Channel: {anything but Auto}

and the Wireless mode can be Auto with b/g protection.

There seems to might be issues with the settings as when the Extension Channel is set to "Lower," the second channel is greater than 6 (usually 10.) When it is set to "Upper," it is less than 6 (usually 2.) Go figure???