What's new

RT-N66U, another beta firmware: 3.0.0.3_155

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is their much noticeable difference between the versions .151 and .155?

155 has AiCloud, the new big feature Asus has been working on for a while.

Qos

QOS seems to be working in this release! Someone please double check and report back.

Also no Android app yet for the AiCloud.

CC

Those using .155, would you say it's "better" than .151? Worth to upgrade to this version?

Also What is the correct/recommended procedure when updating firmware on the RT-N66U?

Thx

Last edited:
Those using .155, would you say it's "better" than .151? Worth to upgrade to this version?

Also What is the correct/recommended procedure when updating firmware on the RT-N66U?

Thx

The way that I do it is to download the new version to a computer hard-wired to the router (don't do firmware upgrades over wireless). Do the upgrade via the Administration "Firmware Upgrade" tab in the router web GUI. Then erase the nvram using a telnet login:

1. Enable telnet.

2. Telnet in as admin (you telnet to the address of the router, of course, which is likely to be 192.168.1.1, but it is whatever you set the address of your router to).

3. Use these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

4. My preference at this point is to power cycle the router before re-entering my settings.

And you should be fine after re-entering your settings. Hope I didn't miss anything...

The way that I do it is to download the new version to a computer hard-wired to the router (don't do firmware upgrades over wireless). Do the upgrade via the Administration "Firmware Upgrade" tab in the router web GUI. Then erase the nvram using a telnet login:

1. Enable telnet.

2. Telnet in as admin (you telnet to the address of the router, of course, which is likely to be 192.168.1.1, but it is whatever you set the address of your router to).

3. Use these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

4. My preference at this point is to power cycle the router before re-entering my settings.

And you should be fine after re-entering your settings. Hope I didn't miss anything...

Agree on don't do it via wifi..Funny thing I always forget about this and thus do it via wifi...So far so good. Regardless of wired or wifi, I always save my cfg before and then just reload it...Why enter all every time again??

Cheers!

Agree on don't do it via wifi..Funny thing I always forget about this and thus do it via wifi...So far so good. Regardless of wired or wifi, I always save my cfg before and then just reload it...Why enter all every time again??

Cheers!

Because when you upgrade firmware, the settings from the previous firmware may or may not apply. Not worth taking the chance, as far as I'm concerned...this can create subtle problems (or not so subtle).

Howdy,
Firmware updates should be done via hard wired computer.
The NVRAM should be cleared.
You should start fresh and punch in all settings. Never upload a configuration. This is where things might get screwy with your router, needing a factory reset and then your entering all your information again anyway.

Beta release means just that. A work in progress. Not everything is working just right. Although this release is better than 108, and 112. :)

I don't think NVRAM clearing is necessary when staying with an Asus firmware. Most people aren't aware how to do it.

I had the experience that my Verizon Network Expander wouldn't work consistently until I cleared the nvram after upgrading to .108...I'm only using Asus firmware.

Seems good firmware. No Windows Phone version for AICloud though - pathetic.

richto Your expectations are not realistic. 3.0.0.155 is very beta firmware. We are basically stealing this version off a Asus Russian website. Asus did not release this to the public. This is incomplete and still under development. They will release the Apps when they release the firmware. I feel fortunate just to get a hold of it and try it out.

A couple of questions:

1) How do you enable Telnet in the N66U??? (sorry if it's a stupid question)

2) What's the best Telnet client for Win 7 (x64)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
A couple of questions:

1) How do you enable Telnet in the N66U??? (sorry if it's a stupid question)

2) What's the best Telnet client for Win 7 (x64)?

Thanks.

To enable telnet, "Admistration" -> "System".

I use the "putty" client for telnet (and ssh), you can find it via google. I've used it on Windows for years, both XP and 7, and it works very well.

Last edited:
QOS seems to be working in this release! Someone please double check and report back. ...

CC

That would actually be a good reason to leave .151 behind.
However meanwhile I'm using that device as an outstanding accesspoint only that is connected to a SMB VPN router.