What's new

RT-N66U DLNA Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

X82

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I'm using Firmware:374.40 (Merlin build) on an RT-N66U.
I've noticed (even on stock firmware) that after so many days the DLNA server will just not work. The router page shows it on and idle but nothing can find it, mainly my TV. The solution is to reboot the router, but of course that loses the info and it has to re-scan all over again.

I've changed the Media server database directory (I have 2 HD's connected) to one of the HD's at the root called DLNA. Is this a good idea? And will it stop it re-scanning on reboots?

Also, why does the server just stop randomly. It could work for a week or a few days but it will just "give up". Neither the TV or a DLNA app on my phone can find it.

I've read threads on JFFS, which is enabled, but I have done nothing with it.
I really want to get this sorted as it is really annoying when I settle down to watch a film and the TV shows nothing in the menu for the Router, which requires a reboot which takes over an hour to find all files.

Update: It would appear that locating the DLNA folder to one of my HD's didn't help. I rebooted the router to test if this worked better but instead the router once again has to re-scan all files. I have 2 drives, named Alpha and Bravo, Since rebooting after relocating the DLNA files, Alpha shows up oddly as Alpha(1). So that idea didn't work.

I've looked more into JFFS, but when I try the information around here, ie creating the minidlna directory, I always read only errors. Either on putty, Winscp or via the commands in the router page itself.

Am I missing something here?
Also, would it be worth my buying a usb hub so I could have the 2 hd's and a usb stick to store the dlna data on?

Interesting. I will give this a try and report back.
One final thing, will this version you linked fix the mysterious disappearing dlna issue?
29tjvGm.jpg

This is my current setup using JFFS. I thought this would fix the rescan issues, but I can see no advantage. But the most annoying is the fact that for no reason, at random, the server will stop. No device will pick up my files anymore and I have to reboot the router and re-scan files.

I will try the above and report back.

Well. I ended up installing Tomato for a while and that, for the most part, fixed my DLNA issues. But other performance issues has brought be back to the Merlin build.

The same issue is here however. Once again the server decided for whatever reason (but I think it is linked to when I add new files to the HD), to shut down (even though in the settings it will show it as running and idle). Only a reboot would fix it and once again it loses all it's data and has to scan both drives once again. Meaning that going from a simple reboot to watching a film can take nearly an hour.
I did enable JFFS but unlike my screenshot above, there is no option to relocate it to another location.

I'm pulling my hair out over this and I can't work this out. Running 374.43.

From what I can fathom (what I know about Linux isn't worth knowing), I followed the instructions. It would seem that the files will ALWAYS need to be on the USB drive in the device? Both my HD's are not ext3, they are fat32 and I have no means of copying the stuff off to reformat the drives. I tried a 4 port usb hub in the device, so I could use both the 2GB usb I used with your instructions and both my large HD's. However, when going to http://192.168.1.1:8200/ nothing happens. I just get a timeout.

Is there another way of doing this? Or an alternative solution? I fear this is above my head and am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Update: I think I see the problem. It would seem, unless I missed a step, that I needed to go back into the settings and enable the DLNA server. Now I've done that, I tried http://192.168.1.1:8200/ and it does now pop up with information.

So what has this done? Where will this store the database?

Last edited:
The DLNA database (files.db) is held on the drive where the files that are being indexed are held in a directory named minidlna

Well I surrender. It still sometimes vanishes from dlna view on my TV and once again a reboot of the router will cause a rescan of all my files. I feel like smashing it up.

Well, I managed to find a work around. I relented and connected both HD's to my PC and installed Plex server. Problem is 100% solved since my PC is on most of the day anyway. Not to mention thumbnails and other information. There was also a Plex app for my LG TV, double bonus.