What's new

RT N66U firm. 3.0.0.3_151

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Build 151 seems to work great, but the only "new" thing that I noticed is that the 5 GHz transfer speeds are noticeably faster. I did notice something else that maybe someone else here could check.

On the Advanced_PerformanceTuning_Content.asp page (which is hidden), if you try to set the transmit power to anything above 80 mW, it throws an error message. I think that these fields are actually disabled and it's just a bug in the GUI that will never be fixed because the page, was probably only needed for debugging.

The only reason that I mention it, is maybe the main Wireless page transmit fields really don't work, if you try to increase the transmit power.

Spitfire 69

Bro I know what QOS is, I am just stating by changing the values the slowdown dissappears. Try it and tell me what you find........

CC

The trick is to set the QOS speeds NOT to your internet speed but the potential router transfer speed (In my case I can set to 450)

Bottom line it works with QOS enabled!

CC

This defeat the whole purpose of QoS. For QoS to work, you *must* set the bandwidth limit to about 20% less than what your CONNECTION allow.

If you set the limit like you did, you may as well completely disable QoS as it serves no purpose.

When i set the QoS to 10Mb upstream it also affects my Lan to Lan traffic.

So unless i have misunderstood the purpose of the QoS it's still not working as expected. I expect it to only affect the WAN connection.

Br, Harvad

You are right... This is how it should *normally* work.

However, turning on QoS has the effect of disabling some hardware acceleration (the CTF kernel module for those interested).
CTF stands for: Cut-Through Forwarding.
Asus calls it "HW Accelerator" and it's found in LAN -> Switch Control

With ctf disabled, throughput is reduced across all interfaces, not just LAN<->WAN

hardware acceleration will be disabled under the following case:
-QoS is on
-Port Forwarding is on
-DMZ is on
-URL monitoring is on.

Activate any of those, and you get much lower speed...
I posted an analysis of the speed differences in this post:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7426

Build 151 seems to work great, but the only "new" thing that I noticed is that the 5 GHz transfer speeds are noticeably faster. I did notice something else that maybe someone else here could check.

On the Advanced_PerformanceTuning_Content.asp page (which is hidden), if you try to set the transmit power to anything above 80 mW, it throws an error message. I think that these fields are actually disabled and it's just a bug in the GUI that will never be fixed because the page, was probably only needed for debugging.

The only reason that I mention it, is maybe the main Wireless page transmit fields really don't work, if you try to increase the transmit power.

This page is not hidden on this router. Just go to "Wireless", and then to the "Professional" tab. Could it be hidden in some non-US locales? I don't know, but it was hidden on the Linksys E4200 for some reason.

I don't know if the power settings work or not, I have enough signal throughout my house so I don't feel the need to change it.

So I've finally upgraded after having the .108 firmware up for over 2 months *smile*. Everything seems to work, but what really got me to upgrade might seem odd, but yes, the client list is finally working the way that it I think that it should *smile*. I don't see any reason why it should take 10 minutes to refresh the list of clients connected to this router...

My Verizon Network Extender is working, work VPN is working. The iPhone and iPad work fine. Everything seems good, strong signal, throughput seems at least as fast as the .108 firmware. And I'm hoping that IPv6 will be there when I need it with this version.

Hopefully this version will pass my "up 1 week, no reboots needed" test.

There's a typo in Asus's code, they have the limit set to 101 instead of 501.

If you go through the Professional tab however it should be fine. Just remember to click three times on Apply (another weird bug in their code).

I hope I can get hold on a newer GPL release soon. 144 works pretty well so far, but I'm not really keen on making an official release of my build so close to the next official release from Asus themselves (assuming their target release of this week still stands).

Just remember to click three times on Apply (another weird bug in their code).

When i played with those settings, I was wondering why nothing was happening. Until I looked in the javascript code.
The test of 3 click is pretty explicit, I doubt this is a bug.. Most likely an intended "feature"

pretty dumb imho.

Other thing stupid is that it does nothing silently if the value entered isn't in the allowed range.
Like if your country for some reason isn't set to the US or TW, it just does nothing.

It should display an error of some kind so you're not left puzzling what's going on in there

trouble downloading firmware

I'm can't seem to download the firmware from the link in the original post by Doc Octopus.

I'm using a Mac Mini Server. Chrome and Safari Browser.

DHCP server not working for me and hasn't worked for me since .108

Chrome, Safari, Firefox on Mac OS 10.7

I would try IE if I had a PC.

Qos still has not been fixed. When it was on, my upload speed was slowing down a lot. Hope it can be fix in the next official release. FIGHTING !!!

Qos still has not been fixed. When it was on, my upload speed was slowing down a lot. Hope it can be fix in the next official release. FIGHTING !!!

There is nothing they can fix....
The second you enable QoS or enable port forwarding, you disable the hardware accelerated stuff. it will become slower regardless.

See my other post about the speed comparison between tomato and asus

For those running the firmware.

Could you report which driver they are running ?

(telnet to the device, run the command:
dmesg | grep Broadcom
should output something like:
eth0: Broadcom BCM47XX 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Controller 5.100.138.20
eth1: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 5.100.138.20
eth2: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 5.100.138.20
)

And finally, does the multiple SSID (guest SSID or whatever Asus calls it) work. Can you create a guest network and connect to it with say an iPhone or iPad..

Thanks

The second you enable QoS or enable port forwarding, you disable the hardware accelerated stuff. it will become slower regardless.

If it is true, I think Asus should have a bandwidth limiter like Tomato firmware or at least MAC priority in Qos like Netgear 6300 in the firmware. I have many devices in my house and I can't steam a smooth HD video since others consume so much bandwidth for downloading and uploading files. :mad:

P/s: I also used Tomato firmware ( Build 095 ) before I really liked it, but the Virtual Wireless kept rebooting the router after 2 days of using. Thus, I have to go back to Asus's firmware in order to have a proper guest network...

Why exactly you disable H/W accer if you enable PF?