What's new

RT-N66U hangs/crash on large files transfer?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

northwrangler

New Around Here
Hi

Tried transfering a large file (8GB) a couple of times some days ago. Both times, after transfering aproximately 4 and 5GB the router simply crashed. Wifi connection was lost, and I had to restart the router. (Transfer happened via NFS from wired pc(1000mbps)-->RTN66U-->wireless (11n 450mbps) pc)

I am running latest firmware (3.0.0.4.260). (On the other hand I haven't done a hard reset yet after upgrading, even though my settings has been reset.)

Have anyone else experienced likewise problems?

Thanks,
N.W.

Did you disable GRO under LAN -> Switch Control? That option can cause router crashes under various situations.

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with my RT - N66u all firmware files where greater are than 178. (tested with merlin and asus)
When I copy files to my external hard drive my router reboots as example after 20 GB Mp3 files.
Also tested with another HDD with external power supply same issue .

and this GRO was function was also disabled.

I have now Asus RT N65u Router and no Problems with the same HDD.

Best regards

Michael

Just wanted to chime in that I've been experiencing the same issue with the latest .260 firmware available from Asus.com and with the .23b Merlin firmware.

Symptoms are like the others have described:
File copy goes on for a few minutes then the router just reboots causing all connections to drop. System log is cleared and uptime counter is reset.
Occasionally the router will drop the samba share and will not be accessible via management page but will continue to allow wifi connection & internet access. A manual reset is required to restore functionality.

I have loaded the Asus beta firmware (3.0.0.4_321) and am in the process of testing now.

Update - It looks like the router rebooted after ~30 mins even with the Asus beta firmware. Suspect that the router just can't handle CPU intensive jobs like a backup job with multiple streams.

Anyone have success running things like Windows Backup or Crashplan directly to a USB drive connected to the RT-N66?

Last edited:
I just transfered well over 100 GB files wirelessly on the 5GHz band without issue. Although no single file was anywhere near 8gb.

Using 262.24 build.

I just transfered well over 100 GB files wirelessly on the 5GHz band without issue. Although no single file was anywhere near 8gb.

Using 262.24 build.

Mark - sorry can you clarify which firmware you're using? I couldn't find 262.24 in Merlin-wrt or on the Asus website. Did you perhaps mean Merlin's 264.22?

I use 3.0.0.4.260.
I am only use wired .
Downloaded 1GB file in 8 min. I hade No problem what so ever

Mark - sorry can you clarify which firmware you're using? I couldn't find 262.24 in Merlin-wrt or on the Asus website. Did you perhaps mean Merlin's 264.22?

He is running a manually compiled version of a Github snapshot. This is work-in-progress code, and nowhere near final/release state yet. Think of it as a pre-release version of 266.24.

He is running a manually compiled version of a Github snapshot. This is work-in-progress code, and nowhere near final/release state yet. Think of it as a pre-release version of 266.24.

Thanks Merlin.

I did a few more tests with Merlin's .23b firmware:

150GB data copy using Windows copy/paste - no issues, averaged ~14MBps
5GB backup job using Crashplan fails after 5-10 minutes
Tested same Crashplan job with radios disabled, router on cooling pad (10F cooler than without active cooling) but it still reboots/locks up when I back up using Crashplan.

Looks like it's something with multi-stream or multi-threaded backups to the shared drive that the RT-N66 just can't handle? Single threaded jobs/copies work just fine.

Can the OP provide an update?

Thanks Merlin.

I did a few more tests with Merlin's .23b firmware:

150GB data copy using Windows copy/paste - no issues, averaged ~14MBps
5GB backup job using Crashplan fails after 5-10 minutes
Tested same Crashplan job with radios disabled, router on cooling pad (10F cooler than without active cooling) but it still reboots/locks up when I back up using Crashplan.

Looks like it's something with multi-stream or multi-threaded backups to the shared drive that the RT-N66 just can't handle? Single threaded jobs/copies work just fine.

Can the OP provide an update?

Just a thought. Could also be the hard disk drawing too much current as your multithreaded backups are generating a lot of head seeks all over the disk, increasing the power draw.

Would be worth testing with another HDD (preferably one with an external power supply) if possible.

Just a thought. Could also be the hard disk drawing too much current as your multithreaded backups are generating a lot of head seeks all over the disk, increasing the power draw.

Would be worth testing with another HDD (preferably one with an external power supply) if possible.

Good idea but the hdd's I'm using are externally powered. Have tried 2 different external powered hdds and a usb flash drive .. all 3 cause the router to reboot when a crashplan backup is run against it. Alternatively I can run Crashplan without issue when they are connected directly to the PC.

Update: As a test, I created a 300GB Truecrypt encrypted container on the external HDD connected to the router and ran the crashplan backups against that encrypted container. 40k files and 220GB worth of backups later and still no crashes. Not sure what to make of this but all is working well now.

Last edited:
Same problem here, when i transfer wired an 7 GB iso to my USB drive.
After 6 min and 4.16 GB the router disconnect.

Yesterday i copied 2.9 Terabyte from GB-LAN to GB-LAN and no problem occured. (Merlin .23b)
So wired connection seems to be ok.

RT-N66u Problems with USB and VPN Server

Hi All

I have problems with the File transfer to the USB HDD .
When I copie files to the harddisk sometimes the router going to reboot and after the reboot the url with the switch configuration in the router interface display a page where i can update the CFE miniwebserver <_-strange.(tested with fat32,NTFS,Etx3, other harddisk with power supply)Merlin and Original Firmeware ) in all configuration the router reboots when i transfer files as example 50 GB to the USB HDD.
Then i have to reboot the Router that all is working again.

Also i have en other problem with the VPN server when the vpn server is on i have all 2 second a new logfile called : kernel print 54 messages commpressed.
I read in the board that the issue for this message is the Network Place (Samba) Support when i switch off no new messages in the logfile.

Anyone who can help me in this ?

Thank you and sorry for my english ^^
Regards

Michael

Last edited:
Large File Transfer Issues

I started having file transfer issues with the latest firmware release, see:http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=82020&postcount=76 , I reverted back to old trusty 3.0.0.4.276 and the problem disappeared. I'd lose access to the drive and more importantly access to the router's web interface when the issue occurred. There are a couple of mentions in the thread about file transfer getting hosed in the latest release, but the majority of the discussion is worry about a drop in wireless signal strength. Try out 3.0.0.4.276 and see how it works out for you.

rt-n66u crash large file transfer

Hi all

Has anoyone this crashes with the new merlin firmeware 373.43 on a rt -n66u when the router transfering files to the external hardisk as example 80 GB ?
thank you very much for your feedback.
BR

Michael